Why become a member? ×

Lily Allens Bass Guitarist

PURPOLARIS

I was watching Lily Allens band last week and was wondering if anyone knew who the bassist was and what guitar he was playing. It looked like it had a graphite neck so I looked on the Status website but couldn't find it. It had what looked like a dial on it as well the normal knobs. The dial seemed to changed the frequency I think. Thought he was a great player as well as them being a great band. I'm not really into Lily's songs that much but the thought the band very good and polished.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='489575' date='May 16 2009, 09:53 AM']A quick google seems to show that it was Morgan Nicholls ([url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-515018.html"]small talkbass thread[/url])

Is this him? and is this the bass?
[/quote]

Very possibly although he does look a lot younger in this pic. His speaker config looks the same although I think he had SWR 4x10's instead of the TE's. I'm not sure if it's the same bass or not, I think the one he had looked newer. I tried googling and couldn't find anything but now I've got his name I'll do a bit more research.

Yes it his him, I managed to find him after getting the name from Allighat0r, great player and great sound coming from him and the band. Seems like he's got his fingers in a lot of pies, very talented bloke.

Thanks for all the reply's

Edited by PURPOLARIS

Yes, it's an old Matrix Series I. Looks like the volume & pickup pan controls have been replaced. That disc around the volume control looks like it's been added as a repair, rather like a lot of the brass plates you get around the jack input sockets on JayDees. Bridge is non-standard as well, I think.

Thanks to the OP for costing me £8 btw... Never heard Lily before & I've just bought the album off iTunes since this little bit of research!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='489952' date='May 16 2009, 05:12 PM']Yes, it's an old Matrix Series I. Looks like the volume & pickup pan controls have been replaced. That disc around the volume control looks like it's been added as a repair, rather like a lot of the brass plates you get around the jack input sockets on JayDees. Bridge is non-standard as well, I think.

Thanks to the OP for costing me £8 btw... Never heard Lily before & I've just bought the album off iTunes since this little bit of research![/quote]

Everytime i see your picture, I wish I could have your bass so much...mmmm...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='489952' date='May 16 2009, 05:12 PM']Yes, it's an old Matrix Series I. Looks like the volume & pickup pan controls have been replaced. That disc around the volume control looks like it's been added as a repair, rather like a lot of the brass plates you get around the jack input sockets on JayDees. Bridge is non-standard as well, I think.

Thanks to the OP for costing me £8 btw... Never heard Lily before & I've just bought the album off iTunes since this little bit of research![/quote]Bridge looks like a Badass.

Thanks to the OP for costing me £8 btw... Never heard Lily before & I've just bought the album off iTunes since this little bit of research![/quote]

Haha, sorry about that but I'm sure it's worth every penny. I'll be claiming my 80p from Lily (if I ever get to meet her) :)
Once again though, thanks to everyone for the info provided. Once again it's proved what a great site this is.

Hi, probably of no interest to anyone... but I also noticed this guy when watching the BBC Radio whatever and was happily surprised to see a bass very similar to mine (Its back home so I nearly shed a tear).

So it is a Status, but it is either a Matrix Series 2 or a Matrix Empathy (can't tell the difference between them, but I think its a Series 2 from the finish)
The Matrix Series I has P/J pickups (or J/J when the 5 string came out) and has a stacked EQ, so only three knobs. From I-Player I get Morgan Nicholls's has soapbars and four knobs. Definitely the bridge is not original nor are the massive knobs.

The reason you didn't find it on the website is that they were made in the early nineties then passed to be the headed (and fancier) Empathy after that and then passed to be the headed S-2

He also plays really well....

Edited by mcc

[quote name='steve-soar' post='489966' date='May 16 2009, 06:30 PM']Morgan is a monster, my old band played with his old band The Sensless Things many times.
The first time I saw him play he just blew my away, loads of energy and great tone.
He's doing alright for himself as Lilys M.D. :rolleyes:
Good on you mate.[/quote]

According to his WIKI, Morgan is apart from musician, also the tour director of her tour! he's definately doing something good!
I didn't like him too much as replacement of Wolstenholme (Muse), sort of a lack of energy when playing hysteria.

He's great at the background, and deserves more credit than he gets

edit: just figured you meant musical director with MD :)

Edited by MuseMatt