Why become a member? ×

Should I get a HX Stomp?

Jakester

15 hours ago, Jack said:

Yes I don't want better sounds on the Stomp, I just want more of them. The 8 block rule is fine if you want 8 gain pedals, but create a patch with a polyphonic pitch shifter and you might only be able to add 2/3 more blocks. 

How good is the poly pitch shifter on the Stomp for tracking? Not come across pedals that do this really well, so this would definitely make the Helix effects worth considering for me (maybe something like a Pod Go).

Yeah, I'd consider the GT 1000 Core. The processing seems twice as powerful as the Stomp:

• Core = 24x effects blocks (some are fixed though, e.g. can't have 24x space echo's all going at once).  Stomp = 8 (or I think now 10 at a push) 
  • Core = 3x parallel paths. Stomp = 2x parallel paths
  • Core = 96khz sample rate . Stomp = 48khz sample rate
  • Core = £499 (on sale at GAK right now). Stomp = £499

And as others have said, more power means things like higher fidelity, lower latency, as well as more complex signal paths (useful for things like running your DB and Bass each in quite long parallel paths within the same preset). I thought the Core sounded better than the Stomp, it's hard to exactly say why, but it just feels a bit more analogue sounding for the things like the overdrives. The Stomp does have probably a nicer interface though (colour screen and things like the soft touch/glowing footswitches - so you know what effect it'll turn on when engaged). 

Perhaps it's also worth considering the Zoom B6. It has a dedicated A/B footswitch you could use to go between DB/Bass and is £389 from Thomann. I haven't used it, but people seem to say they're decent.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

How good is the poly pitch shifter on the Stomp for tracking? Not come across pedals that do this really well, so this would definitely make the Helix effects worth considering for me (maybe something like a Pod Go).

I'm getting to grips with it just fine. FWIW our singer has just had some throat issues that have meant we're dropping several songs down a semitone or two temporarily (it's pop punk, so it's pretty high up). It tracks better when you play with a pick, I'll say that. You can move a tracking slider between 'stable' and 'fast', so there's room to fine tune what you want out of it. I'm about 75% on the 'fast' side. Again, this is pop punk so it's all too fast and loud to care about silly things like being in tune. :)

I can recommend it in general.

• Thanks 1