Why become a member? ×

Piezo cake they say ...

kodiakblair

Who are 'They' ? 

Can they be trusted and what the hang was I doing listening to them ?

I've had these 3 roughed out for a while.

AtitAgain.JPG.e77da065ab722f5fc1dbdef636a00636.JPG

Plan was left would get 2 51 single coils at 60's spacing. Centre would be an Italia copy, 4 lipsticks running parallel to the strings. Right, possibly a 51 'Ray' slab 🙂

Turned out the Italia idea involved a fair bit of work. No problem converting 2 lipsticks to RWRP, it was the accordian/leatherette wrap scared the pants off me 😆 

Far easier to scrap that one for something simple, piezo bridge/wax finish 👍

I had hoped to be on the ball regards progress photos but things ain't too great health-wise so when energy levels allowed I was more focused on the task at hand. The body had a couple of serious knots, spraying finish isn't an option; Wood Veneer Hub came to the rescue. Not my best veneer job, after 3 attempts at a perfect join the towel was chucked in the ring 🤬 Photo is before the overhang was trimmed away, 0.6mm veneer; roll of 180 grit seen below the neck took care of it.

PlainWalnut.thumb.JPG.02b8d92d241629263d76a4a4545fef6c.JPG

Neck and bridge were positioned and fitted this afternoon.

SansPG.thumb.JPG.92de1e9b84f256a92d381bd449a010a7.JPG

Edited by kodiakblair
too many photos
  • Like 2

Wax finish will liven it up somewhat but it needs a bit more.

Not too struck on the Cabronita look.

DSC_0766.thumb.JPG.50d95e23ea3129973a0ac81b690a3ef6.JPG

Hand cut this pearloid scratchplate a few years back. Did a quick trim to suit the rounded heel, I think it holds promise 🙂

DSC_0768.thumb.JPG.4f74c495d6d80b942162c5e6114d49bd.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Been on the look out for a piezo bridge too, so it would be handy to know, cheers!

I have one of the Powerbridge ones knocking around I don't use any more, basically the Fishman ones but without the branding. Have a 4 string in black and possibly a 5 string in silver as well.

Also have a Bartolini buffer pre, think it's the 2 channel one.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pearloid won out in the end  🙂

On first plugging in all I seemed to get was a horrible nasally tone, switched to tapes hoping it would help; it didn't 🤬 

If I had hair it would have been in my hands, luckily tugging on the beard is painful so I looked at settings instead 😄 First thing was set the Bass/Treble on the Artec preamp to detent and turn the gain trimpot down; this improved things. At the amp I went with a fair bit of bass boost highs and mids were also boosted but to a lesser degree. A wee sweeten with the Artec pre and all was well 👍

Here it is next to this afternoon's creation, the red Telecaster jazz bass 😎

TeleJB(2)(Custom).jpg.41c7d6445a525ea2923c03189dae4e1a.jpg

Sharp eyes will spot a different neck. The 51 shaped one was a much better fit on the red body so the piezo got a spare PB-50 neck, a reshape is on the cards soon 👍

• Like 1