Why become a member? ×

Amp stands

Interesting. The band I work with now has an electric kit and we use our back line as monitors. Guitarist has a cab angled up to his ears, similarly keys have uses a pa cab as a monitor. I have a BF BBII that I like the sound of but it is designed to be LOUD and project/disperse in a huge way for the size. Often, it is on the floor aiming at my calves and quite difficult to hear once we’re under way. I do have a set of fender tilt back legs but have not put them to service yet. I did tilt the cab (about 45 degrees at the last gig and it worked for me). I’m not sure I’d want to sacrifice the BBII sound for a monitor/PA cab…anyone in a similar situation? Is the FRFR notion the solution (not sure it will be as good as BF FRFR though)!

We will not go down the IEM route and even in small pub venues use PA support and get a pretty good sound.

One of the things I have tried a couple of times in the past, before we went over to IEM systems, was to put my BBII on it's side in front of me next to my stage monitor with a wedge( rack case cover) under the front to tilt it upwards towards me and amp on a stand behind me. Then i could adjust the balance between the monitor mix and the direct sound from my bass cab. I could actually have my bass a lot lower and having the cab facing me gave me a better sound. . This worked well when there was a lot of space on stage for the cab in as well as the singer.  But we had a few gigs in a row where the stage was quite compact and we needed space for the lead vocalist to move around so i couldn't keep that idea going. Now we are using  IEM i don't use cabs for that band.

Thanks for the input. 

yes, small stages are the norm. On a bigger one, well enough to have a monitor wedge and room for my cab, I can stack my two BBII’s and enjoy that for a bit! 

In one of the bands I worked with, we used IEM’s for around 15 years, so adopted quite early, but the unit I’m with now will likely not go down that route. That said, we’re using an X32 as two could do it relatively easy. For monitoring four of us use the TC Helicon monitors, which is Ok for vocals, acoustic, bit of keys and guitar. 

Tilting would seem to be the answer. If I could get a monitor that would sound really good (maybe RCF 7 series or similar), that maybe OK, but heavier than a BBII I’d guess.

22 minutes ago, fabbabass said:

Tilting would seem to be the answer. If I could get a monitor that would sound really good (maybe RCF 7 series or similar), that maybe OK, but heavier than a BBII I’d guess.

I tilt maybe 95% of the time and when I moved from a BB2 to an RCF 732-A I was 100% happy with the switch, including sound quality and bass response at high volumes, and dispersion.  The trade-off as you say is that most things are heavier than a BB2, including the RCF.  TBH I found a 732-A pointing straight at my face was too loud for use as a personal monitor and now use a smaller QSC CP12.

• Thanks 1