Why become a member? ×

62 precision

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='488332' date='May 14 2009, 10:56 PM']Fender 62 Precision Original. Loadsamoney!

did the maple board precision disappear completely til 67/68? Was it only the early 'telecaster' style Precision that had a maple board?

BB[/quote]

Yep - that's the real thing for sure. Looks like it needs a bit of TLC and a good clean...! Will be interesting to see what that finally goes for...

Maple board precision?
Fender stopped making them as a production item in around 1960. Not really seen again until the famous (& incredibly rare) 1966 UK 'slab' precisions.
I've heard tales/rumours of one-off custom order maple neck precisions in the 1960's - but never seen pictures of any (that's not to say some weren't made though).
Then the 1968 Telecaster Bass had a maple board & in 1969 the maple neck returned as a standard option (as WOT says - with the TV logo on the headstock)...

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='OldGit' date='May 15 2009, 09:38 AM' post='488545
Wonder how much I'd get for my other kidney .....
[/quote]

would u trade it for one of my livers? I can get by on only one.....

I dont know sh*t from Shinola when it comes to vintage basses (especially Fenders) like this but even i felt this one was right but wanted to know what the troops thought.
Have always put off buying a nice vintage P for fear of getting burned :)

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='488582' date='May 15 2009, 10:02 AM'][quote name='OldGit' date='May 15 2009, 09:38 AM' post='488545
Wonder how much I'd get for my other kidney .....

would u trade it for one of my livers? I can get by on only one.....

I dont know sh*t from Shinola when it comes to vintage basses (especially Fenders) like this but even i felt this one was right but wanted to know what the troops thought.
Have always put off buying a nice vintage P for fear of getting burned :)

BB[/quote]

Got any steak?

Yeah, I know what you mean.
This one just looks right.
Can you fake dirt like that?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='488563' date='May 15 2009, 09:50 AM'][quote name='OldGit' date='May 15 2009, 09:38 AM' post='488545'

What's the TV logo?

The larger block lettering (as opposed to the smaller script which wouldn't have shown up on telly)[/quote]

Especially if you think back to when this was done & everyone had black & white tellys - with (compared to now) poor picture quality & small screen size - the subtle silver / gold logos that were on Fender headstocks would have been really difficult to see clearly...

[quote name='OldGit' post='488612' date='May 15 2009, 10:33 AM']Got any steak?

Yeah, I know what you mean.
This one just looks right.
Can you fake dirt like that?[/quote]

From the pictures that's definitely 100% original & very lovely (& the dirt certainly looks genuine as well!).
Looks very much like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24297"]my '62 Precision[/url]... :)