Why become a member? ×

TS jack plugged into TRS socket - what happens?

Specifically, a cable from by bass into the Rockboard Mod 2 patchbay, then a mono cable from there to my Boss MS-3 multi FX (I don't use this in stereo), and then from the MS-3 back to the patch bay and from there to the amp.

I didn't spot that all the 1/4" jacks on this patchbay are TRS!!! 

Edited by franzbassist

52 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Specifically, a cable from by bass into the Rockboard Mod 2 patchbay, then a mono cable from there to my Boss MS-3 multi FX (I don't use this in stereo), and then from the MS-3 back to the patch bay and from there to the amp.

I didn't spot that all the 1/4" jacks on this patchbay are TRS!!! 

Don't worry, it will absolutely not be something like hydrogen bomb. :)

• Haha 1

The vast majority of the time nothing terrible is going to happen and you are unlikely to damage any of the equipment.

However depending on how the sockets are wired and how the cables are wired into the plugs at each end you might get unexpected audio side effects. If you have reached the stage where you have patch bays in your set up then you really should be also at the stage where you can solder up your own cables so that you are using the correct ones with the correct plugs attached.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you have reached the stage where you have patch bays in your set up then you really should be also at the stage where you can solder up your own cables so that you are using the correct ones with the correct plugs attached.

Yep, I can and do make my own cables.  The only reason I asked is because this patchbay has a USB though, which means I can use this to charge the power bank without detaching it from underneath the board.  The 1/4" jacks were just a bonus and it made sense to use them for my input and outputs.  If they work then all good, but if not I can just bypass them.

Edited by franzbassist