Why become a member? ×

How do you know what a used DB is worth?

10 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

Good point about GAS (classical gas?). I too used to trade bass guitars on a whim, but in the DB world you’re forced to commit. Once you’ve got a bow, a quiver and a stand (optional) you’re pretty much out of options in the accessory market. And the strings last 10 years and take 10 hours to attach so that’s 

not a GAS option. No, it’s only when you decide to amplify the damn thing and type ‘what’s the best pick up for double bass’ into Google that your troubles start.

My bass teacher always talked about committing yourself to an instrument. It’s like a relationship that you need to spend years investing in it.

6 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

Good point about GAS (classical gas?). I too used to trade bass guitars on a whim, but in the DB world you’re forced to commit. Once you’ve got a bow, a quiver and a stand (optional) you’re pretty much out of options in the accessory market. And the strings last 10 years and take 10 hours to attach so that’s 

not a GAS option. No, it’s only when you decide to amplify the damn thing and type ‘what’s the best pick up for double bass’ into Google that your troubles start.

The Talkbass way appears to be to stack multiple boutique preamps together in front of an amp that would have worked fine without one. Seems a little silly to me, but people love buying little boxes and talking about them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

The Talkbass way appears to be to stack multiple boutique preamps together in front of an amp that would have worked fine without one. Seems a little silly to me, but people love buying little boxes and talking about them.

And this is why we don't go on talkbass...