Why become a member? ×

Help - What have I done wrong

Rodders

Hi all, 

I use a Palmer Pocket Amp for practice at home with headphones, I want to use my new HX One with it, the Palmer has a single socket stereo "FX Insert", I bought a stereo to mono Y splitter cable. 

Plugged it all in trying the different inputs on the top of the HX One just in case but no joy, I'm hoping its not just that you can't use the FX insert with headphones, which would be a real pain. 

Help!

44 minutes ago, Rodders said:

...I'm hoping its not just that you can't use the FX insert with headphones, which would be a real pain. 

I'm pretty sure that the headphones work in parallel to the other features, not instead, so you should be good to use headphones and FX Send/Return (i can check mine later)

Presumably you've tried swapping the 2 mono leads around between input & output of the HX (ie. assume 1 lead is the input first, then try with the other as input)?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

I'm pretty sure that the headphones work in parallel to the other features, not instead, so you should be good to use headphones and FX Send/Return (i can check mine later)

Presumably you've tried swapping the 2 mono leads around between input & output of the HX (ie. assume 1 lead is the input first, then try with the other as input)?

Yes I did try all inputs and outputs of the HX just in case, I assumed both mono ends of the Y cable would go in the corresponding mono in and out of the HX? Quite possible I've missed something. 

14 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yes I did try all inputs and outputs of the HX just in case, I assumed both mono ends of the Y cable would go in the corresponding mono in and out of the HX? Quite possible I've missed something. 

What he meant was, have you tried swapping the two split mono jack plugs around on the Palmer preamp, that is trying both plugs respectively in both the input and output of your external preamp?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rodders said:

This is the cable I bought, do you reckon its the wrong one? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320517170202

Yes that it is the correct type of cable (although I've had problems in the past with these cheap cables being DOA - do you have a way to check e.g. a multimeter?).

5 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

What he meant was, have you tried swapping the two split mono jack plugs around on the Palmer preamp

The split mono jacks go in the HX One, not the Palmer.  The two options are:

1. red jack into HX One "IN L/MONO" and black jack into HX One "OUT L/MONO"
  2. black jack into HX One "IN L/MONO" and red jack into HX One "OUT L/MONO"
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Yes that it is the correct type of cable (although I've had problems in the past with these cheap cables being DOA - do you have a way to check e.g. a multimeter?).

I've not got a multimeter unfortunately, I'll have to invest in a slightly higher quality one, I thought I'd buy a cheap one in case it doesn't work and ended up shooting myself in the foot anyway! 

9 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Ah, right, my bad.

It even says in the OP, and yes, I did in fact read it, yet still managed to totally misunderstand OP's intention. *DOH!* :facepalm:

For some reason I just had got the idea that the Helix has 1 stereo jack socket effects loop, and that the Palmer preamp would be connected through it's regular respective input and output mono jack sockets, and that this what OP wanted to do.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

You can test your existing cable without a multimeter, if you have any device with a 1/4" headphone output e.g. an interface or hi-fi.  Play music through that device and connect it to the Palmer's normal input ("Bass In") using say the red mono jack - then through your headphones you should be able to hear one side (either left or right) of the music.  Then switch to the black mono jack, and you should be able to hear the other side.

If you are going to replace, I've been using an EBS cable on my pedalboard which has been reliable - EBS ICY-30 (30cm).  They also make a ICY-100 which I guess is 100cm.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

You can test your existing cable without a multimeter, if you have any device with a 1/4" headphone output e.g. an interface or hi-fi.  Play music through that device and connect it to the Palmer's normal input ("Bass In") using say the red mono jack - then through your headphones you should be able to hear one side (either left or right) of the music.  Then switch to the black mono jack, and you should be able to hear the other side.

If you are going to replace, I've been using an EBS cable on my pedalboard which has been reliable - EBS ICY-30 (30cm).  They also make a ICY-100 which I guess is 100cm.

Very much appreciated @jrixn1 thank you :)

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

Just to clarify (now that we can see colour coding of your cable) - my question was "Presumably you've tried your cable using say, the red plug as input to your HX (with black in the HX output), as well as trying the black as input to the HX (with the red in the HX output)"?

[Edit] ...i've just setup this config with my Palmer Bass Preamp and a Zoom pedal (standing in for the HX)

So, to answer your question: it all works ok using a headphone in the PBP, whilst Send/Return connected as required (TIP=SEND; RING=RETURN) to an external FX

NB you do need to make sure you have Blend control turned up enough on the PBP!

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

Just to clarify (now that we can see colour coding of your cable) - my question was "Presumably you've tried your cable using say, the red plug as input to your HX (with black in the HX output), as well as trying the black as input to the HX (with the red in the HX output)"?

This.

It's fairly common for the red cable to be the "right" side, which corresponds to the "ring", which (if I'm looking at the right pocket amp) is the return. This means, connect the red jack to the output of your HX. 

The black cable should be the tip, so connect that to the HX input.

The single jack is known as TRS - tip, ring, sleeve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandy_r said:

[Edit] ...i've just setup this config with my Palmer Bass Preamp and a Zoom pedal (standing in for the HX)

So, to answer your question: it all works ok using a headphone in the PBP, whilst Send/Return connected as required (TIP=SEND; RING=RETURN) to an external FX

NB you do need to make sure you have Blend control turned up enough on the PBP!

@sandy_r I feel really silly, I didn't even consider the blend control (having never needed to use it before or understood exactly what it did!), my poor brain! 

14 minutes ago, Rodders said:

@sandy_r I feel really silly, I didn't even consider the blend control (having never needed to use it before or understood exactly what it did!), my poor brain! 

No worries - "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that" (WW)

Hope its all good now

• Thanks 1