Why become a member? ×

Pickup upgrade: wowsers!

Alexx

Finally managed to solder all the bits together after taking my Squier Affinity PJ to bits and upgrading the pickups and pots. Went for Tonerider after reading some good reviews, and didn't want to spend too much.

After a few hours of frankly terrible soldering I eventually made the bits stick together, got it strung up and plugged in. The pickups are beasts. Mainly just using the P, I had to drop it back into the body slightly to calm it down. Really seems powerful, with a much more aggressive sound than the stock pups. I'm really impressed.

Always nice to put things back together and find they work, eh?! 

• Like 1

Congratulations! :i-m_so_happy:

Yes, the pickups are usually the weakest link in otherwise great budget instruments, and with the right upgrade it can take a bass from decent to amazing sounding.

Personally the EMG Geezer Butler P is my go to P pickup upgrade, for a vintage voiced pickup with some extra spank that sounds exceptionally clear and articulate, or for a more modern full and aggressive tone the DiMarzio Model P.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Personally the EMG Geezer Butler P is go to P pickup upgrade, for a clear sounding vintage voiced pickup with some extra spank, or for a more modern fat and aggressive tone the DiMarzio Model P.

That's as may be, but there's no way I'm taking this to bits again until I have to 😅

Although I am now looking at the slightly crap tuners. And maybe the bridge...