Why become a member? ×

Peavey Max 450 Head

bassman50

Has anyone else experience problems with this type of Amp

I am using Peavey Max 450 Head and it has started cutting out on Gigs (Thermal Shutdown according to Peavey) after a short time on average volume (gain and master on around 60% )

I am using the amp at 2 ohm rating which it is designed to perform
(Peavey 2x10 and 1x15 speaker cabs which combine in series to give a 2 ohm rating)

has been back to Peavey and returned but has cut out again after 15 seconds first time I used it

is this a common experience? I would be interested to hear of anyone elses experience

I have had my speakers for a long time and used a Mk6 Peavey Bass Head for many years (and its now being gigged again out of retirement)

I bought the 450 Max as insurance for the future because not many manufacturers make amps that run at 2 ohms (to match my speaker set-up)

A tech friend of mine has always maintained that Peavey amps don't work well into 2 ohms despite their claims to the contrary, (and he is a big Peavey fan too!) They get distorted and run very hot, which probably leads to thermal cut out etc. Very few power amps (especially at the entry level in the market) will run happily into a 2 ohm load, its asking a lot.

Mate of mine had a 2x10 Peavey combo which sounded great into its own 4 ohm internal speakers, yet when he added an additional 1x15 Black Widow 4 ohm Peavey cabinet (bringing the total load down to 2 ohms) he had problems similar to those above. The handbook actually recommended this pairing too, IIRC.

Maybe you should look at running just one 4 ohm cabinet - Peavey do a 4x10 4 ohm job which often go for little money. Or if you really want to shift some air maybe an 8x10? !!!
Hope this helps, cheers.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='487687' date='May 14 2009, 11:08 AM']Isn't there an identical thread in Amps and Cabs?[/quote]

Yes. I think it's a rare example of a Peavey lemon. Return it and demand a replacement, not a repair.

I've never heard of Peavey's 2 ohm rated amps having problems with that load - in fact I think a lot of their bass amps use parts from their power amps which are almost always very happy at 2 ohms with demanding material.

Alex