Why become a member? ×

F/S Yamaha Attitude Special Bass refin in Lava Red £425 - *SOLD*
£500
Chorley, Lancs., PR6

ead

Sold elsewhere

Hi folks, back up for sale is my Yamaha Attitude Special; originally Surf Green refinished in Lava Red.  I am genuinely in two minds about this so I may withdraw this at any moment as I did earlier in the year.  However it really isn't getting the use it deserves and I would love it to go to someone who will use it.

I am the second owner of this bass from new.  The original owner bought it new, originally Sea Foam Green, and had it re-finished in a colour close to Lave Red which was one of the options for the full-fat Attitudes.  It was not a pro job and with the various scuffs acquired over the years, the original finish does show through in a couple of places.

The bass itself still plays and sounds great and has original hardware and electronics except the for the strap lock buttons.  The bass will come with a gig bag.

The neck is fairly slim with a 40mm nut, slightly bigger than a vintage style Jazz Bass but not as big as a traditional P.  It's very slick in the hands; the finish on the back of the 12" radius neck is nicely worn in and very easy to get around on. The fret condition is fine with only light wear.  The neck is straight and the truss rod works fine.  The body is light and lively but still well balanced against the neck.  

The pickup combo and electronics is fairly unique:  You get a standard P pickup with its own volume knob but no tone knob, as well as the signature big passive humbucker in the neck.  This has a separate volume and a tone control.  Basically, you can start off with a juicy, growling P-style tone, then use the neck pickup to dial in a whole world of extra fatness and low-end heft.

There is a sticker on the bass that Mr Sheehan had on his bass that I also believe is no longer available.

The specs are:

·       Alder body

·       Split single coil and passive humbucker.

·       Maple, 1-piece Neck 34" scale, 12" radius

·       Finish - Lava Red (was Surf Green)

·       Body - Alder body

·       Fretboard - Maple

·       Weight - 4.0kg (8.75lbs)

·       Nut width - 40mm

·       Pickups & electronics – All original

Looking at recent sales, the relative scarcity of these basses and bearing in mind the re-fin, I think that the current asking price is fair.  In order that you can see and hear what you're buying I would much prefer collection or to meet up and hand over in person if at all possible, but shipping may be an option and would be for you to organise.

Edited by ead
  • Like 8

• ead changed the title to F/S Yamaha Attitude Special Bass refin in Lava Red £425

The Powell/Bones Brigade stuff is synonymous with Billy Sheehan’s wife bass.

I shudder to think how much I paid for vintage PP stickers when I made my own “wife” bass.

• Thanks 1

• ead changed the title to SOLD Yamaha Attitude Special Bass refin in Lava Red