Why become a member? ×

How much polyester wadding?

Maude

I haven't had cause to use my Phil Jones Bass 4B extension cab since lockdown and it's been stored in my workshop. Last week I took it out from underneath the bench and noticed the port slots at the bottom were filthy and some of the wadding had been pulled out. It looks like someone has made more use of it than me for the last couple of years. 

I opened it up today and it's in a right state. The wadding has been moved all around and hollowed out, various bits of rubbish have been dragged in there (rubbing down paper, nitrile gloves, etc) and it contains the skeleton of, I presume, a rat. 

It's completely stripped now and will all be being cleaned and disinfected thoroughly. I have the same type of polyester wadding saved from another large cabinet that was scrapped (I assume it's all the same?) but how much should I put in? I can't tell how much was in it before or where it was as it's all been moved around and compacted. 

The cabinet is a 4 driver 2x2 design. There is a shelf between the upper pair and the lower pair that stops about 4" short of the back panel. Should I fill just the rear area behind the shelf, just the two areas above and below the shelf, or all three effectively filling the entire cab? I assume it doesn't want to be compacted at all? 

Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

Edited by Maude