Why become a member? ×

New cab / Old sound - Holy grail?

aniki

31 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

If you're ever near Bristol, you'd be welcome to give mine a go. 

Thank you for the offer but I’m trying to keep myself away from anything that might induce further GAS at the moment.  I have an LFSys Monza on order….. I lasted about two months after selling my two Orange 12s, before deciding I needed a single as well as my BF Two10. 🥴

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Are you suggesting that OP simply should paint their cab and be done with it, or what are you on about here?

Also that doesn't mean that everything sounds the same, or equally good, that personal preferences and taste isn't a thing, or that everyone (or anyone for that matter) listen purely with their eyes!

I just continued the story that @agedhorse had done years ago. Very good test, some didn't like the results...

It was eye opening to understand how much we hear with our eyes. It is the same how we rate different players (endorsees) that how a system (instrument, amp, cab, fx...) sounds. It is anything but easy to rate equipment strictly from our own preferences.

Yes, I have done and I have been in blind tests. They were really eye opening (sorry!). After several tests I was ready to trust my own ears. Not an easy task at all: the pressure is hard, because we all want to belong to group/s. Which set is suitable for you if your group prefers certain equipment?

I can say if I do, or not like some thing. It may differ from some other opinions. Does not matter. At my age and experience I am able to find what I like, and I am very sceptical to what I see and hear from any paid channels. How about you? When I look at your modified Ibanez, I think you have found something that is not mainstream, isn't it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, itu said:

The previous comment is drifting away from the original topic, so sorry for that.

These are conversations and can go where they go. Some people don't like that, but talking around the subject can make for a more interesting and informative thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for all the responses. Just a quick update.

I still have Ampeg and Orange cabs for live shows; the purpose of the mission was to find something simple and easy for jam sessions and practices that would be a bit more practical. Not bothered about the cost but I'm no snob either! If it costs £100 or £1000 I don't care as long as it gets the job done.

For now, I've raided a mates studio spares and found an unbranded plywood box and a Celestion TN1525. If it gets even half way where I want it to it'll be a good start for a free cab.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aniki said:

I still have Ampeg and Orange cabs for live shows

They have in common Eminence drivers that don't have long excursion capability. If you go to something like Barefaced that has long excursion drivers you can get the same output from a smaller box using half the driver count. But, and there's always a but, the tone and timbre that shorter excursion drivers contribute to the result isn't going to be there. Whether or not that works for you is 100% subjective.

It was eye opening to understand how much we hear with our eyes

We all do, it's unavoidable, even among those who know better. http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

• Like 3

These days* I hear with my lower back...

When I switched to BF cabs, I made an effort/commitment to re-EQ, and made a leap of faith to consider the cabs as capable of producing anything I put in...and it worked.

* Well, not so much these days; I've just mentioed in another thread that this weekend I realised I've not used my 'big' rig (Mesa/BF) more than a couple of times since before lockdown: I'm all IEMs and DI'd Stomp...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1