Why become a member? ×

NPD! EHX Pico Deep Freeze

lidl e

Hold/freeze is one of my favourite effects. I wanted it on my gig board to replicate the setup i have with the future impact on my bigger board.

I was deciding between the TC electronics infinite or the EHX freeze.

Then i found they recently released this pico line. 

This deep freeze is apparently their freeze pedal and their superego in one. I figure the extra superego feature are just a bonus.

And it is so small. It will fit perfectly on the gig board. 

Will wire onto board and post pics of that later

20240129_113234.thumb.jpg.a315a8210f7762201b26b9a97be5adbf.jpg20240129_113254.thumb.jpg.73a5594fb7c5c601d789543d69219b56.jpg20240129_113317.thumb.jpg.352fc60561ee9d5fd123bdc0067c1987.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

This deep freeze is apparently their freeze pedal and their superego in one. I figure the extra superego feature are just a bonus.

Oh…… did not know this, thought it was just a freeze….. now I want one 🙄🥲

• Like 1

Put it on the board while sitting in a meeting.

This might be perfection...

I'd lose the DMC for live as my feet are just too big, but this configuration does it all and i wouldnt need more than 6 presets on the C4 for a show. 

20240129_143715.thumb.jpg.b10053524fcf159a269621012dd50076.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

Have you had a play with it yet?

Been messing aroud with it for the last good while.

It's  deadly. It really makes a ruckus for such a tiny box.

I have a few thoughts for ya.

There are three modes, momentary, latch and auto. I would say i will stick with momentary 90% of the time. This mode is basically what you get in a freeze pedal i assume. You step on the switch and it holds your note/chord until you step off the switch. While holding a nite, you can play over the frozen sustained chord/note

Latch is where the superego features come in. Thus allows you to build pads, soundscapes or beds using multiple held notes adding each time tou click on the pedal.  I assume this isbwhat the superego does. It's a very cool feature and can make some really sinister sounds. I look at this as a bonus to the momentary mode which i got the pedal for. You can really see where the effects loop on the superego would come in handy. It can get a bit messy with modulation effects after it in the chain, which is how i have it currently. I might switch that. I'd say as i understand betterbwhat the gliss and speed/layer knobs do, i will use this mode more.

The third mode, auto, is where a layer is added as you play depending in a set threshold. This would be fantastic for a guitar wirh like a shimmery reverb, but i dont see myself using this mode as much. Again, after i fogure out the knobs a bit better, i might use this mode.

To me, if i had a freeze pedal, i wouldn't upgrade.  But the size alone makes it an easy buy for me because this board has limited space.

It is expensive, but you get the freeze plus some extra cool bits. And you save a ton of space. I simply couldnt get a bigger pedal on this board.

So overall, im happy i found i. It was exactly what i was looking for plus extra. But pricey.

Soundwise, i was only using headphone out from my tc bh250 into AKGs but i reallyxwant to hear it at rehearsal. 

Not sure it will get much use in the band, but a ron of fun at jams.

One thing to remember is it isnt a looper, so youre not sustaining phrases or runs. Just notes and chords if that makes sense.

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Messing around with the freeze tonight.  It's so much fun i can play with it for hours. 

Here's a short sound clip of doing a drone and playing over it It's obviously w**kery at It's highest form, but it does show kind of what it can do. 

Live i only use orange "freeze" mode. This messing around with green "layering" mode

It definitely gets a bit muddy when i kick octave up in trying to process all those notes. But it sounds great (to me) withcl the chorus and reverb

This is empress bass comp->jam red muck->deep freeze-> plethora x3 with a virtual board consisting of sub n up, corona chorus and hall of fame reverb.

I apologise in advance for any number of bass discretions on this clip.

• Like 2

On 08/03/2024 at 00:19, lidl e said:

Messing around with the freeze tonight.  It's so much fun i can play with it for hours. 

Here's a short sound clip of doing a drone and playing over it It's obviously w**kery at It's highest form, but it does show kind of what it can do. 

Live i only use orange "freeze" mode. This messing around with green "layering" mode

It definitely gets a bit muddy when i kick octave up in trying to process all those notes. But it sounds great (to me) withcl the chorus and reverb

This is empress bass comp->jam red muck->deep freeze-> plethora x3 with a virtual board consisting of sub n up, corona chorus and hall of fame reverb.

I apologise in advance for any number of bass discretions on this clip.

Lovely. I do like a bit of droneage

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Nice! Is it polyphonic like the original freeze? I used to love sticking chords into mine.

The freeze function will hold a chord, but you can also build chords using the latching function.