Why become a member? ×

Guild B302

Lifer

Just paid for a Guild B302 and should be with me tomorrow, pictures will follow!

I first saw one in the back of Bass Guitar Magazine (maybe 8-10 years ago??) in the 'unusual basses' section they had on the last page; love at first sight. Been close to buying a couple in the past but got my rent deposit from my last house back today and snapped one up :)

Can't blooming wait

I just acquired Rayman’s ’78 fretless B301-F; (thanks mate! :) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47830&hl=Guild)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=Guild)[/url] absolutely didn’t need it but I’ve always had a soft spot for these – ultra-cool funky styling, Guild build quality – and can never resist a project. Plus it was cheap!
Have to say I’m really impressed – slightly clubby neck as MacDaddy said (quite Wal-like in fact), but nicely balanced, very playable, and lively, resonant, woody tone – being all mahogany and single coil p/u I guess. The added DiMarzio model one p/u at the bridge is coming out and I’ll probably make a replacement pickguard - which should cover most of the offending routed hole - and fit either a Darkstar or a quality J p/u – either should look right and add some bite to the mix.
Very underrated basses that never had the classic status they deserve – there’s just been a couple of B302’s on the bay with hopeful BIN’s of over a grand mind!

Yeah I've seen them, didn't pay that much though!

And my spector's got a big neck so no problems with that, just hoping the courier depot doesn't close too early so I can pick it up tonight.

Edited by Lifer

I was very , very close to having a punt for the one Shaggy bought from Rayman. I had one of those 'I'll leave it til the morning and what we will be' moments. It wasn't to be.

I can remember playing several as a young man as I wanted a different bass to my Precision , didn't fancy a Gibbo and couldn't afford a Ric. Trust me , there was bugger all else to choose from back then. Had quite a soft spot for them ever since though I never owned one.

I liked the different look , I liked the brand as Guild were well known as top end acoustic makers , I liked the sound which was non-fendery but not as 'trifle in an old sock' as a Gibson. I liked playing them too.

You will let us see your new aquisition I hope.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='486804' date='May 13 2009, 12:07 PM']I was very , very close to having a punt for the one Shaggy bought from Rayman. I had one of those 'I'll leave it til the morning and what we will be' moments. It wasn't to be.

I can remember playing several as a young man as I wanted a different bass to my Precision , didn't fancy a Gibbo and couldn't afford a Ric. Trust me , there was bugger all else to choose from back then. Had quite a soft spot for them ever since though I never owned one.

I liked the different look , I liked the brand as Guild were well known as top end acoustic makers , I liked the sound which was non-fendery but not as 'trifle in an old sock' as a Gibson. I liked playing them too.

You will let us see your new aquisition I hope.[/quote]

Of course!

I ummmd and ahhhhhd too long on the fretless as well. Have ordered some low tuning 105 - 80 - 65 - 45 Newtone strings (thanks Sibob!) because I want to tune it to drop C but don't want to take a file to it to fit 130s.

Stuck at work for the day though :)

Here she be!

Electronics are shot, got output but the pickup selector only selects bridge-both-both and only one pot works (bridge pickup volume)

But easiest thing ever to set up, got it playing pretty nice in drop C with the scabby strings that were on there already so looking forward to getting the Newtones on there and having a proper fettle.

Luckily I this picture is one of the first results when you search for "B302" and I reckon I can rewire from it:

Confused...

Does The Bass Cellar = Music Ground?

If so I think this:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guild-B302-70s-Original-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ310137980158QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item310137980158&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guild-B302-70s-Origi...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]

is the one I've just bought. I know I paid over the odds (really wanted one + had the cash) but didn't pay that much!

I know music ground are notorious for being over expensive with vintage stuff. The upstairs of the Leeds shop is like a museum - no prices. The attitude seems to be 'I want 2 grand for that piece of tat which nobody will ever pay which is fine because it still hanging there brings folks to the shop downstairs too - BUT - if someone's daft enough.......'

Glad you got yours for less , and if you think the price was fair - even better. It looks great by the way.

Balance is great, going back to my spector but that's 35" scale so can be a bit neck heavy so used to a bit of weight in my left hand.

My old guitarist works in the service department at fender and he's gonna have a look at the lectrics for me and hopefully be getting a bit of a refund because of the work needed. Gig next week so might give it a run out anyway :)

A B301 through a Musicman combo....... back in the early 80's I fell in love with the combination. Why the hell did Guild stop doing basses ? Had a young family at the time so couldn't justify the expense back then and now it seems they are fetching silly money. Oh well :)