Why become a member? ×

Weird String Question

I am using EB cobalt flats on my precision, which I love, loads of mid-range growl in these, and the main reason I got them is I hope they last a lot longer than rounds do before they go dead and lose that, cuz I hate changing strings.

However I have one slight issue which is that if I'm away from the bass for more than a day the cobalt seems to oxidise or something as they develop a coating which can only be described as sticky or clingy. It's definitely not something coming off my hands, cuz it goes away if I play, and stays away if I play regularly.

I noticed though that when I had just put some cuticle oil on my well manicured nails (lol), it solved the problem, instant nice slick feel.

Obviously I probably don't wanna use cuticle oil as an ongoing thing, cuz it's got all sorts of stuff in it, but I was thinking of getting some pure mineral oil, and basically just applying a dab of that to my fingertips before I start playing.

If I do that, do you think it would be bad for the longevity of the strings? Or even the poly finish on the maple fretboard?

If yes, any other recommendations?

Sorry if this is a bit of a dim question. 😬

Whatever you put to your fingers will be in the strings. Do you want to oil them? I don't think so. Some kind of oxidation is happening there. If it doesn't cause allergic reactions, don't care about it.

On 26/01/2024 at 01:55, Vin Venal said:

I am using EB cobalt flats on my precision, which I love, loads of mid-range growl in these, and the main reason I got them is I hope they last a lot longer than rounds do before they go dead and lose that, cuz I hate changing strings.

However I have one slight issue which is that if I'm away from the bass for more than a day the cobalt seems to oxidise or something as they develop a coating which can only be described as sticky or clingy. It's definitely not something coming off my hands, cuz it goes away if I play, and stays away if I play regularly.

I noticed though that when I had just put some cuticle oil on my well manicured nails (lol), it solved the problem, instant nice slick feel.

Obviously I probably don't wanna use cuticle oil as an ongoing thing, cuz it's got all sorts of stuff in it, but I was thinking of getting some pure mineral oil, and basically just applying a dab of that to my fingertips before I start playing.

If I do that, do you think it would be bad for the longevity of the strings? Or even the poly finish on the maple fretboard?

If yes, any other recommendations?

Sorry if this is a bit of a dim question. 😬

If you want them to sound like thumpy Labellas then keep using the oil, if you want any semblance of brightness then I would pass on the oil.