Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Combo handle torn out…

Not seen this before! Carrying my MB CMD121P back to the car after playing, one of the handle mounting screws suddenly parted ways with the body of the cab, leaving the combo dangling from the other end. Never seen this happen to any other cab! And it continues my run of bad luck with MB stuff…

Has anyone had this happen to them, and if so, how did you fix it? 

I haven’t been able to look at it in detail (it was dark) but the pitch of the screw seemed pretty fine for something supposed to grip into wood. I was thinking I could either pack the hole with epoxy filler and screw it back in, and hope that it holds it when cured - or fill the hole (either with aforementioned epoxy or a dowel) and use a more aggro screw. Thoughts?

this might not be a wood screw at all, if it's a fine thread it might be threading into a metal insert / tee nut, this is common for strap handles.

a pic of the screw will show this, if it has a flat end rather than a point then it would suggest that it's a machine screw for an insert. 

the nut might not be in place but as i'ts likely to be steel it will be stuck to the speaker magnet.

I've had a fair few cabs apart and i've never come across a strap handle that wasn't held on with machine screws and Tee nuts.

Matt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Without discounting Matt's comment about possible insert, if it is supposed to be a woodscrew, i'd avoid using a ready-made dowel, since they are often a harder wood like Ramin and might split when tightening a new screw into it- better to use a softish wood (eg. pine) and cut (or chisel) a strip along the grain, to the approx depth of hole, filing/sharpening new 'plug' to be a tight fit into old screwhole. Choose pilot hole diam. to suit new screw core diam.

But check first for indication of insert arrangement, as per Matt's post

Edited by sandy_r

4 hours ago, Matt P said:

this might not be a wood screw at all, if it's a fine thread it might be threading into a metal insert / tee nut, this is common for strap handles.

a pic of the screw will show this, if it has a flat end rather than a point then it would suggest that it's a machine screw for an insert. 

the nut might not be in place but as i'ts likely to be steel it will be stuck to the speaker magnet.

I've had a fair few cabs apart and i've never come across a strap handle that wasn't held on with machine screws and Tee nuts.

Matt

Thanks  for the heads up - haven’t had a chance to check yet but will do. 

Another repair option:

Cut a square(ish, it doesn't need to be precise) piece of ply or similar, place on the underside of the cab top and fix the handle to this. Use a dome-headed machine screw (this will probably look right on the handle), a washer and a nylock nut. No need to fill the existing torn hole and the wooden piece will help spread the load.

Good luck.

Edit: obviously will only work if there is access and space. If you can't fit in the piece of wood, there may still be room for the washer and nut, though.

Further thought: it may be woth taking the preventative step of repeating the process on the other fixing; it would be frustrating if your repair held but then the other end of the handle ripped out.

Edited by KevL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hurrah! Good news, everybody!

As @Matt P suggested, it seems there is a captive nut on the underside, and on closer investigation for some reason the screw had simply come undone to the point it could pull out of the nut. 

Thankfully it would still thread and so all it needed was screwing back into place, this time with a judicious application of Loctite. Hopefully that will hold it!  Also did the other one at the same time. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1