Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here bought a bass direct from Fender

Aidan63

12 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

and returned it, because they didn't like it ? Under distance selling regulations with their advertised 30 day easy return policy

The official line from Fender is that this is fake news, never happened, no-one has ever returned a bass to them, ever.

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

like the gold foil jazzes were perfectly fine basses, keepers for life type ?

with the online discount at the moment they are similar price to most dealers in the UK, direct selling is the model Fender and the other big boys want to go to

but returns policy and implementation is crucial

and I would feel a lot better if I had to return because I didn't like it to the manufacturer than to a shop, especially if the manufacturer took control of the return as that is the biggest worry when returning anything, will it arrive back at seller in 1 piece as it left you ?

• Like 1

I bought my Squier VM 70s Jazz direct from them as I had a discount through Fender Play at the time. As I recall it came from a warehouse in the Netherlands via UPS, and the box was a little tatty when it arrived although the bass itself was fine. I miss that bass and hope the Manchester-based student I sold it to is enjoying it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

especially if the manufacturer took control of the return as that is the biggest worry when returning anything, will it arrive back at seller in 1 piece as it left you ?

Fender will issue you a return label, which you ultimately pay for (they deduct it from the refund amount).  To me, it seems that they booked the courier so they would need to deal with any issues with loss or damage; however, if you need to know for sure, I think you'd have to contact them and ask directly.

A possible alternative is to buy online from PMT as they give the option to return to one of their stores.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

A possible alternative is to buy online from PMT as they give the option to return to one of their stores.

Likewise with Guitar Guitar and I’ve never had a problem getting them to price match. Obviously only an option if they have the item in stock. 

PMT seem to be closing a few stores; the London one disappeared  not so long ago.

I am in rural mid-Wales, so not near any big shops, so looking for a good and easy distance purchase and return if necessary option; second hand prices are often on the steep side for the instrument I am interested in, and even when reasonably priced many peeps, rightly, don't want to ship because we can't trust the couriers to do it right every time, hence the question - so far jrixn1 seems to be the only one to have experienced a return with Fender. I'm asking on here because I want to be informed before talking to their sales people who will I am sure promise the earth, but in reality might not quite live up to the advertised 'easy process' as advertised

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

so far jrixn1 seems to be the only one to have experienced a return with Fender

Perhaps I've misworded my reply above, but to clarify I've never bought or returned anything directly from/to Fender - I was just explaining the process that I've read on their website.  I don't have feedback either way on what their specific customer service is like if there is an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

I am in rural mid-Wales, so not near any big shops, so looking for a good and easy distance purchase and return if necessary option; second hand prices are often on the steep side for the instrument I am interested in, and even when reasonably priced many peeps, rightly, don't want to ship because we can't trust the couriers to do it right every time, hence the question - so far jrixn1 seems to be the only one to have experienced a return with Fender. I'm asking on here because I want to be informed before talking to their sales people who will I am sure promise the earth, but in reality might not quite live up to the advertised 'easy process' as advertised

Well, I'm up in Aberdeen, 3 hours away from the nearest "big" shops, and even then sometimes they can suck.  So I know exactly where you're coming from, including the overinflated local second hand market (which only seems to be overinflated when I'm buying stuff, never when I'm selling).

All I can tell you is that I have rolled the dice many times - out of the 58 basses I have owned, the vast majority of them have been bought unseen, at distance, from a variety of vendors, both shops and individuals.  I've never returned a bass just because I didn't quite like it, only ever because it was faulty in some way (which is different).  What I tend to do is keep a hold of a bass for a while then sell it on.  Any losses I write off as "bass rent".

You do you, but I have no qualms about buying anything at distance, because where I live, I don't have many palatable other choices.  Order with confidence, you'll be (mostly) fine.  If you're looking for cast iron guarantees that everything's going to go great, you'll never buy anything!

• Like 1