Why become a member? ×

Shielding the control cavity

On 21/01/2024 at 17:36, Obrienp said:

Do you find it as effective as copper tape? I’ve had basses that had cavities painted with graphite paint from the factory and they are still noisy. Put copper tape over the paint and the noise disappears. Of course, the factory might not have put as many layers on as you do but it has made me default to copper tape as the best solution.

I know the question isn't directed at myself but I do know about this stuff so so fwiw...

The conductive (carbon loaded) paint is technically not as effective as RFI shielding as properly applied copper. But it can be very effective to the point where it is not the weak link in the scheme of things. 

And, yes, as someone commented the problem is often with it not being properly applied. I've seen it where the coverage is patchy etc.

10 hours ago, badger said:

can I hijack the thread slightly & ask what copper tape people would recommend & where to buy it?

many thanks  🙂

...can also source thin copper (or alu) foil from Craft outlets like Hobbycraft & Etsy, etc - comes as a rolled up sheet

• Thanks 1

I tend to buy mine off fleaBay. Possibly not the cheapest way of doing it but there seem to be plenty of suppliers on there. Outlets that sell components, like Northwest Guitars,  also carry it but their prices can be a bit steep.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, max_overdrive said:

Make sure to buy copper tape that has conductive adhesive

Or you can 'tack' solder each strip to an adjoining one, once (glued) in place, with a single small dab of solder which 'bridges' the surface of both

• Thanks 1