Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 Tribute

stingrayfan

Fresh in from the States, my new G&L L2000 Tribute.

Blueburst on swamp ash, rosewood neck and the US G&L p/ups and electrics. Fit and finish is great, no rough edges and feels really playable. Raspy Musicman tone easily gettable but you can dial up loads of different sounds using the tri-tone electrics. Only the smaller tuners and neck wood (bit blonde and new looking) give it away as a Tribute rather than a new full price US model. That said, these basses normally go for about £550+ new in the UK, so it should be well made! Landed it, inc all taxes, from the US for £350.

Edited by stingrayfan

Wow!! Very nice. So many G&L's on this forum. I think the blueburst is one of the best colour choices.

How does it play and sound in comparison with your USA L2500?

How long did it take to arrive, and who handled the import paperwork and taxes etc?

Nice score. :)

Smokyflipps.

[quote name='smokyflipps' post='50989' date='Aug 26 2007, 06:28 PM']Wow!! Very nice. So many G&L's on this forum. I think the blueburst is one of the best colour choices.
How does it play and sound in comparison with your USA L2500?
How long did it take to arrive, and who handled the import paperwork and taxes etc?
Nice score. :)
Smokyflipps.[/quote]
It's got the same quality feel and punchy sound. It feels nice and new, whereas the 5er feels like a comfy old pair of shoes. But straight out of the box, the action was lovely, really playable. It's got a heavyweight feel thanks to the ash but you don't get the birds eye maple that you do on the US models. Gig bag is top notch too - really thick with G&L logo on. Definitely playing it at the next gig. The bass that is - rather than the gig bag....

Bought it from [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Nitro-Tone-Musical-Instruments"]Nitrotone Music[/url] on Ebay for $499.00 (got him to price match another guy selling in Oklahoma). Cost $60 to ship via USPS Global Priority (he sorted - that's a really good price). Came out at £280. Then when it arrived, Parcelforce sent me a letter and I went and paid the VAT, import duty and their handling fee which, all up, was £70. Sometimes they don't bill you apparently, sometimes they do. I was advised to always factor it into the cost of anything imported. Took about a week to arrive.

In short, no more difficult that mail ordering it over here - but a hell of a lot cheaper. The guy who runs Nitrotone music is called Roger and is really friendly to deal with and easy going about shipping to the UK.

Edit: should add that it arrived with a sizeable ding in the back (about size of a 5p) as a result of transatlantic shipping in a gig bag and cardboard box. It's no massive big deal but would defo buy a hard case next time and ask it to be shipped in that.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='51001' date='Aug 26 2007, 07:06 PM']I keep checking out Nitrotone's stock on ebay.They have a few real nice looking tribute JB2s and SB2s. $60 shipping to the UK makes them all the more alluring

btw your Tribute L2K looks great.

DJ[/quote]
Defo worth it with the £ against the $ so strong.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='51003' date='Aug 26 2007, 07:18 PM']Defo worth it with the £ against the $ so strong.[/quote]
Another great G&L bass Matt!

You're definitely the King when it comes to getting them at bargain prices! Look forward to hearing about how you get on with it at a gig?

Nik

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='51511' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:59 PM']I wish mine was in blue. Good though aren't they :)[/quote]
Yeah they're great. You never can tell though till you use it in anger, can you? So last night it got it's first gig outing at a party we were playing in a field. What a sound. Deep & bright (the hi-fi sound I like), warm, punchy. Like a hotter Stingray. All the notes rang out thanks to the great p/ups, which is not something I can say about my Stingray (quiet G string, anyone?). To say I was impressed by this bass is an understatement. Great feel too - smooth neck, not too heavy and comfortable right hand postition.

I think I'm in love. :wub:

Edited by stingrayfan

• 2 weeks later...