Why become a member? ×

Meta copyright notice a puzzle

lownote

Meta just slapped me with a copyright notice and partial audio mute for posting a video on Facebook (to just one friend) featuring nothing but me playing sax over a backing track I bought into. The tune was Summertime.  Anyone know why this might be? As everyone else hates my sax playing it could be that Meta are trying to protect the public ear :( , but as they muted everything except my solo it can't be that - maybe the bot recognised the melody. The other thing is I've seen an unconfirmed post that Meta have recently taken against videos that feature music and a single unchanging cover image, which I'd done. Dunno if that's true.  Can any recording gurus catch me up on what's occurring here?

Edited by lownote

Maybe whoever created the backing tracks has published them in such a way that the AI is detecting an exact match between the original backing track and your video but not taking into account the specific licensing conditions of the backing track, and treating it as if it was an original recording with normal copyright considerations.

I remember youtubers being hit with copyright strikes for using their own original music a while back - the algorithm was matching the youtube videos with audio files that they were selling through digital platforms and failing recognise that they owned the copyright.