Why become a member? ×

Mysterious Mesa amp(s) problem, I'd appreciate some help

Beedster

27 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

For anyone who plans on working on an amplifier it behooves them to at least learn the basics of electronics. Would you work on a car's engine without learning a bit about it before you start?

Bees don't have hooves. Everyone knows that. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

For anyone who plans on working on an amplifier it behooves them to at least learn the basics of electronics. Would you work on a car's engine without learning a bit about it before you start?

Hey Paul, I'm not looking to work on an amplifier, I'm simply checking whether an off the shelf switching cable cable will work, and if not whether it'll do any damage to the amp in question, I think you've misread the posts 👍 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/01/2024 at 07:05, sandy_r said:

If it helps towards answering your peripheral question, Chris, the Mar 2001 schematics for both the 360 & 600 M-Pulses employ the same 5-pin 180-degree DIN connection for the footswitch (the 5 wires give Gnd + switching for Masters, Loop, Compr & EQ)

M-Pulse-360-600-Fswitch.png.b8180482af75cabbf73da6e2ae05a74e.png

(each switching path is a passive circuit of switch, resistor and LED in series to Gnd, protected on the Amp side by opto-isolating chips)

On 09/01/2024 at 08:24, sandy_r said:

Thats a B-Link 1A - 5 switches (adding Tuner Mute) - your amp version only supports 4 switches (The B-Link F/S)

you could make a complete new cable similarly (ie. 7-pin to 5-pin, 5-wire shielded cable?) and keep the original cable unmodded, in case you ever sell the footswitch on

(personally, i'd prefer this option)

Following up on my earlier posts re: adapting the newer 7-way footswitch cable to the existing Mesa 5-way socket...

This DIY cable is freely available - no cost, no postage cost (in UK) - to @Beedster, or whoever, to test the footswitch/DIN cable for correct connections to the M-Pulse 5-way socket

Once the pin connections for the 4 switches relevant to the Mesa (with 5-way socket) have been confirned, a short 5-way to 7-way adaptor cable can be made to allow the later footswitch to be used with the earlier M-Pulse

I have other projects of my own which i'm trying to complete, so first come, first served on this free offer!

5-wayDin-Tester.thumb.jpg.b8ba1fcda736e3dca3d3118e1cb2746f.jpg

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1