Why become a member? ×

Best class D amp that’s uncoloured like HiFi

NickA

Thganks @Phil Starr for an excellent answer to my original question .. I may get myself a gnome as a backup .... unless (unlikely) a PJB bp-400 shows up cheap!  

I agree that the D800+ is basically unbeatable; it's probably the best amp I ever tried; class D or otherwise, but quite big and rather expensive.  The bugera sounds like a good beast too ( and only £200:at bass Bros!!); through as it's trying to emulate a tube pre-amp it's suprising that it managees a clean sound - I guess frequency response and harmonic distortion are separate things .. ie it might have a flat response from input to output across the frequency range but it might also be generating harmonics at other frequencies (tube amps being typified .. and loved .. for their generation of even = octave harmonics).  As it happens, neither of those amps are what I need at the moment (which is a small size, light weight and relatively cheap amp to power up the speakers of a PB300 cab - and no need for tone shaping as the pre in the flightcase that feeds it does all that.  But it's good info for the future.

Regarding impedance ... the measured 5.9Ohms at DC of my PB300's speaker array fits with its 6x 5" Neo drivers if those are truly 8Ohm (three parallel sets of two drivers in series = 2x8 / 3 = 5.3 ).  I guess it's the same thing as the PJB 6B cab which also has 6x 5" neo drivers (but is just an unpowered cab) and which PJB say is 4Ohm net.  No tweeters, so no cross-overs to complicate things.  Speaker impedance as a function of frequency seems to be quite complicated, but I guess the manufacturers quote the minimum it's going to be across the useful frequency range.   Whatever, I'm going to assume my cab is an easily driven 4Ohm one, so needs an amp that does 300W into 4Ohm.

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1