Why become a member? ×

Wah woes

Lifer

Love the tone from my bootzilla, but don't use the fuzz.

Also when switching off there's a noticeable treble boost as the switch is at the top end of the wah.

So is there a simiple fix or a pedal that has a similar tone? Would love one of the Morley ones with the auto switching but can't really afford/be arsed to buy and sell loads on if they're not right.

For tone ref I use it on the 'mid' setting on the wah, fuzz not used at all.

Edited by Lifer

The fact that you don't use the fuzz isn't a problem. If you like the wah, you've got what you need! Get a true bypass loop and you can switch the pedal in and out of your chain independant of where the treadle is.

Edited by cheddatom

Well, you can either buy one from Red Onion (probably the best) or you can make your own one that requires no power, costs a lot less, and gives more satisfaction. As long as you have a soldering iron, you can try this one: [url="http://happybob.com/marc/circuits/TrueBypassEffectsLoop.gif"]http://happybob.com/marc/circuits/TrueBypassEffectsLoop.gif[/url]

I don't know, I think it's a great suggestion! It means you don't have to buy any parts.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='485031' date='May 11 2009, 01:14 PM']Swap the wah switch into the place where the fuzz switch is (supposing this is the same layout as other snarling dogs pedals), so you can switch independant of wah position.[/quote]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='485076' date='May 11 2009, 02:12 PM']I don't know, I think it's a great suggestion! It means you don't have to buy any parts.[/quote]

But where the fuzz switch is it will mean to operate it the wah will be in the same postition as it is with the normal switch, so I'll still get the trebley 'gah' when I go to turn it off

Right, sorry, I didn't know what the layout of the pedal was.

Alternatively, you could drill a hole in the pedal, put a mono jack socket in, and wire it to the wah switch. Then you can use a normal footswitch for an amp to turn it off and on.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='485141' date='May 11 2009, 03:51 PM']Alternatively, you could drill a hole in the pedal, put a mono jack socket in, and wire it to the wah switch. Then you can use a normal footswitch for an amp to turn it off and on.[/quote]

+1.

I'd open it, assess the situation, realise I had absolutely no clue what I was doing so post a pic of the insides on BC and ask "What the hell am I doing?!!?!". The replies would inevitably explain everything in detail and I would go ahead. I would have a cheap and yet fully-efficient pedal and have learnt a lot in the process.

I love feeling like I have creative ownership of my instruments and effects, even if its just a set-up it makes me proud!!!

So yeah, [u][b]GO FOR IT!!!
[/b][/u]
Dan

The fuzz switch is at the top right, to operate it the wah would be in the same postition as if I hadn't moved the switch so I don't think it would solve the problem. I'm planning to have the bypass switch below, wah always on so I can just tap the switch and step straight on the wah.

Sorry maybe i've not explained myself properly. If you buy a jack socket, they're a similar size to a footswitch. You could un-screw the bolt on the fuzz switch, and then push that switch inside. By taking the back of the pedal off you could insert a jack socket into the fuzz switch hole. If you wire the socket to the wah switch, you can then plug in any normal footswitch to the jack socket to turn the wah on and off.