Why become a member? ×

Sorted… pls delete

Richard Jinman

I’ve read a few postings on here about the Earbox … positive and negative. I play DB through an AI clarus and double shot cab. We only play small gigs and I usually have the double shot behind me on a chair as a monitor and amplification. When it’s gypsy jazz (no drummer just 2x guitars etc) I can hear myself fine. But playing with a trad jazz band (+1 drummer, Sax, trombone etc) I could hear very little. I like the idea of the Earbox as a monitor. 2 questions:

can I power it from the Clarus amp (double shot only has a single input) and do any DB players have experience (good and bad) of using one? Thanks. 

Edited by Richard Jinman

I believe the Earbox has a ridiculously high impedance so you can run it from your amps second speaker output, even if your other cab is 4Ohm/minimum impedance for the Clarus.

Never tried one though.

Much as I loved my AI amp, their speaker cabs always left me feeling underwhelmed.  

• 3 weeks later...

AI combos only ever any use for low volume situations as the cabs just don’t project, but the heads are the finest ever made (and they’re not made any more so likely to become highly sought after.

Keep the Acoustic image head and use a different cab.  I use a 1x12 Eich cab which is stupidly light and very loud and sounds amazing.  I believe they also do a 10’’ speaker if you’re looking for ultra portable.

You and the audience will then both be able to hear your bass.  No need for any monitoring…

• Like 1

Hi Richard

I use one, and you're more than welcome to try mine if you like - I am Hampshire based.

It won't add to your overall volume, rather adds to clarity of note. Positioning is key, and I use a mic stand to get nearer my head height. 

For me, I don't really notice it when it's on, but seem to notice it when I don't use it. 

Hope this helps,

Greg

6 hours ago, MuddBass said:

Hi Richard

I use one, and you're more than welcome to try mine if you like - I am Hampshire based.

It won't add to your overall volume, rather adds to clarity of note. Positioning is key, and I use a mic stand to get nearer my head height. 

For me, I don't really notice it when it's on, but seem to notice it when I don't use it. 

Hope this helps,

Greg

Thanks Greg, that's interesting. I've bought a barefaced super midget to try instead of my AI doubleshot, so I'll be seeing if some of the other posters are right - that a more directional cab is the solution. But if that doesn't work I'll gladly take you up on the offer of trying the ear box. Thanks again, R

@MuddBass Is the Earbox enough on its own for the job of hearing yourself? i.e. if the bass is going into the PA, does the Earbox make enough noise that you don't also need another speaker for the job of personal monitoring? I'm thinking of a small class D amp head with DI out to PA and an Earbox as the only speaker...

33 minutes ago, tinyd said:

@MuddBass Is the Earbox enough on its own for the job of hearing yourself? i.e. if the bass is going into the PA, does the Earbox make enough noise that you don't also need another speaker for the job of personal monitoring? I'm thinking of a small class D amp head with DI out to PA and an Earbox as the only speaker...

I'd say no, it's far too quiet for that in my experience.