Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar MM Pickup Mod

Corsair

Hi Folks,

One of the basses in my stable is a squier jag bass, the one with the single humbucker pickup.

I wasn't expecting to like this bass as much as I do and will be  upgrading the bridge, tuners and pickup.

The stock pickup can sound a bit muddy and I wanted to swap this out for a replacement. A friend of mine who's main bass is a late 90's US made stingray has offered to sell me the original pickup as he swapped his out for a Seymour Duncan some years back and the pick up is going unused.

I'm not an expert in this stuff but from my understanding the MM pickup is passive but the preamp in a MM bass runs off a 9v battery.

My question is because the Squier Jag bass is passive will the MM pick up sound dull if its run without a 9V preamp?

Cheers

Yes you are right that the MM pickup itself is passive.  I wouldn't say muddy, but on its own it has a surprisingly low output, which may or may not give you issues.  Also, 'that' sound associated with the Stingray is very much to do with the preamp and so the sound will be very different.  

John East does do a splendid preamp that is 'tuned' to the Stingray/Sterling sound if you wanted to head towards the adventurous... :)

23 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes you are right that the MM pickup itself is passive.  I wouldn't say muddy, but on its own it has a surprisingly low output, which may or may not give you issues.  Also, 'that' sound associated with the Stingray is very much to do with the preamp and so the sound will be very different.  

John East does do a splendid preamp that is 'tuned' to the Stingray/Sterling sound if you wanted to head towards the adventurous... :)

Thanks for that much appreciated, I didn't realize the output would be significantly lower.

I think I'll go with a Kent Armstrong MM pickup instead, its cheaper and the website lists it as having enough output to use as a passive. 

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Thanks for that much appreciated, I didn't realize the output would be significantly lower.

I think I'll go with a Kent Armstrong MM pickup instead, its cheaper and the website lists it as having enough output to use as a passive. 

36 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If you want to make the bass sound more like a stingray, you might be better off keeping the original pickup in the bass and adding an active preamp such as the retrovibe stinger.

Check out the Warman MM Pickup. I have used them successfully in a couple of projects they really are good.

Coupled to a Retrovibe Stinger will get you very close to that traditional MM Stingray sound.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 13:02, Corsair said:

Hi Folks,

One of the basses in my stable is a squier jag bass, the one with the single humbucker pickup.

I wasn't expecting to like this bass as much as I do and will be  upgrading the bridge, tuners and pickup.

The stock pickup can sound a bit muddy and I wanted to swap this out for a replacement. A friend of mine who's main bass is a late 90's US made stingray has offered to sell me the original pickup as he swapped his out for a Seymour Duncan some years back and the pick up is going unused.

I'm not an expert in this stuff but from my understanding the MM pickup is passive but the preamp in a MM bass runs off a 9v battery.

My question is because the Squier Jag bass is passive will the MM pick up sound dull if its run without a 9V preamp?

Cheers

Those MM pickups sound just fine without a preamp, despite what many say (makes me wonder if they tried them). You just won't have the tonal diversity that the preamp's built in EQ will give you.

My 2002 EBMM Stingray has now a bypass switch, so I can play it passively (just a little 'get me home' switch, in case I mess up my battery replacement schedule). Plenty of output (of course, if you normally boost the crap out of the preamp controls, it'll be a bit quieter than that!) and if at the right spot for a Stingray, it has plenty of Stingrayness (just one of the many flavours available if you had the preamp too). If it's not at the Stingray position, then it'll never sound like a Stingray anyway, but it'll sound good.

• 4 weeks later...

I have both the Kent Armstrong and Warman pickups that I have used in a passive bass. I like the Kent Armstrong: enough output and the covered top means you don’t get the buzzing from accidentally touching the pole pieces. The Warman is higher output and not as refined to my ears. Both sound quite Stingray like to me used in passive mode.

Both pickups have four conductors, so you can do parallel/single coil/series switching. That really opens up your tone palette.