Why become a member? ×

Bad back ..

SamIAm

Bad back ...  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Bad back ...

• Ouch
    • Strong as an ox

Anyway , regarding  potential tragedy regarding my back ; I went to a gig at the Brixton Academy back in the '90s with a work associate . He decided he wanted to go to Tower Records in Piccadilly . Fair enough. We had a skinful . 
On going down some concrete steps on the way out , I slipped ! I didn't fall forward , as I was trying to not to look too inebriated , 🤦🤦so my back hit a few steps . Yes, I was in agony, and it was in the solar plexus area . I was very lucky . I struggled into work next day .

Having to move around like John Wayne for a few days was painful and problematic obviously .  As I say, I was lucky .

Those of you who have bad backs have my sympathies. 

• 3 months later...

I've just turned 65. My back is fine while I'm playing but kicks in big time at the end of gigs when I have to get down to unplug the pedal board or extension leads. I'm starting to develop a strategy now where the first thing I do is take the bass out to the car at the end of a gig. That little walk about seems to help to get a bit of gentle movement into my lower back. I've also got a rotator cuff issue but that is actually helped by lifting stuff with my arm pointing straight down so that's not too bad.

P.S. I've agreed to help some friends (who are doing a self build) tomorrow. Pouring a 180m2 concrete slab. Half of the 'crew' have dropped out at the last minute, so what I thought might be quite an easy day doesn't look so good now. Dreading it to be honest but I'll give it a go.

Edited by Japhet

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at how rock n' roll this thread is!

But I can join the club - my sons are getting older, but so am I, which means I have to push it more to stay ahead of them in things like skiing - it was so much fun until I spent what seemed like half a day in January sliding backwards down a mountain - I fainted when I tried to put my ski's on again so the boys "borrowed" my credit card for the rest of the day while I hobbled back to the hotel and spent the next two days in a hot bath soaking my back. Since being home I sold my 4x10 cab,  and can only play sitting down... sigh... (NB the massive Trace in my thumbnail never moves... I'm spreading the rumour that it is immovable!).

Edited by SimonK