Why become a member? ×

Cab for DB... are Euphonic Audio still the bee's knees or is that all in the past?

Richard Jinman

6 hours ago, Richard Jinman said:

I’ve exchanged a few emails with @stevie and he’s very kindly offered to loan me a cab. My choice is between the 10 and 12 inch driver’s .. if the size/weight of the cab is not a big issue would you go for the 12 inch Monaco for double bass? Thanks

The Monaco sounded better to/for me.

Caveats: I was playing my carved bass with a Realist pickup rather than the ply bass with a Krivo magnetic pickup which I normally use 98% of the time, so in essence, my carved bass was sounding like my ply bass??

Also, my carved bass is quite bright, so I may not have produced the lower frequencies noted by Chyc.

Honestly, I think either cab would be great for DB, and noticeably louder than your Upshot. Everything else is just personal taste.

• Like 1

Hi. 

I'm a past user of EA iamp600 (serial number 27!) into a pair of EA VL110 cabs. 

Sold them and went to a Genz-Benz amp and Bergantino/Vanderkley cabs. 

Then about 7yrs ago stumbled upon barefaced 12" cabs and the very next day sold all of my Bergs and a Vanderkley (they're that good!) 

For all my double bass pit work, jazz, big band and sessions I use my Clarus 2 (600w @ 4ohm) into a Super Midget (1x12" +T) and for when we're on stage I use a BB2 (1x12" +T) and the Clarus (or Genz-Benz with a HPF) 

The cabs are super clean and both pizz and arco sound superb. 

Ultra light and ultra strong. 

The Clarus and Super Midget does over 150 gigs a year, then the BB2 and 900w Genz-Benz does the rest on bass guitar. 

Superb amps and the ultimate cabs for my 200yr old double bass. 

I highly recommend Barefaced. 

Oh, and if I want STUPID LOUD I pair both cabs together.... But they're literally ridiculous!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloopdad1 said:

Hi. 

I'm a past user of EA iamp600 (serial number 27!) into a pair of EA VL110 cabs. 

Sold them and went to a Genz-Benz amp and Bergantino/Vanderkley cabs. 

Then about 7yrs ago stumbled upon barefaced 12" cabs and the very next day sold all of my Bergs and a Vanderkley (they're that good!) 

For all my double bass pit work, jazz, big band and sessions I use my Clarus 2 (600w @ 4ohm) into a Super Midget (1x12" +T) and for when we're on stage I use a BB2 (1x12" +T) and the Clarus (or Genz-Benz with a HPF) 

The cabs are super clean and both pizz and arco sound superb. 

Ultra light and ultra strong. 

The Clarus and Super Midget does over 150 gigs a year, then the BB2 and 900w Genz-Benz does the rest on bass guitar. 

Superb amps and the ultimate cabs for my 200yr old double bass. 

I highly recommend Barefaced. 

Oh, and if I want STUPID LOUD I pair both cabs together.... But they're literally ridiculous!

That’s a great recommendation thanks

• Like 1

You won't regret it.  And actually used is slightly better because they seem to like a bit of 'running-in'

Don't be afraid to show it some bass EQ either.

Unfortunately the accuracy of my Super Mini showed up a whole load of other flaws with my bass / pickup / preamp, which I had previously been able to ignore.  Hopefully with your Clarus you won't have that issue.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just reporting back on my AI clarus and Barefaced Super Midget set up. As suggested it's pretty incredible. Played a big room last night using the Clarus/SM as a monitor and DI'd to a PA. Admittedly I was in a corner at the back of the stage, but with the cab angled up towards me I could hear every note (and mistake). So, thumbs up for this combo. 

On a related matter, I've just bought an AI clarus focus 2r version iii (what a mouthful) as a backup to my newish AI clarus. Does anyone use one of these? It's got a range of effects which I'm unlikely to use (delay on a double bass?), but I'm intrigued by the 'hall' setting which the manual suggests is for small rooms/chamber music. At the moment I'm just bypassing the effects, but I'd be intrigued to know if any DB players use them and why?

24 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

I'm intrigued by the 'hall' setting which the manual suggests is for small rooms/chamber music. At the moment I'm just bypassing the effects, but I'd be intrigued to know if any DB players use them and why?

Probably more used to add 'large venue' (ie. Concert Hall) ambience to 'dry' recording of the instrument - could sometimes be useful in adding that ambience in smaller live settings. I'm experimenting with smaller amounts of reverb for my 'EUB-alike' setup, to add some 'body' sound to what is essentially a solid stick of wood. HTH

• Like 1