Why become a member? ×

FX loops in a pedal and compression...

uk_lefty

So... I run almost all my pedals through an EBS Microbass II effects loop. My signal chain goes: wireless into tuner, to EBS effects loop, a handful of pedals then a Boss LMB-3 and back into the EBS. I'm wondering whether the LMB-3 is better off before the signal hits the EBS? I had it earlier in the loop and found it killing the sound from the pedals. I can't put it after the output of the EBS because I like to DI off that. 

Any helpful suggestions welcome. 

Not sure how helpful this is but I tried running my LMB-3 in the fx loop to try running parallel compression and couldn't really get what I wanted from it, the LMB lost a chunk of volume and a lot of its characteristic punch you get from running it in series. So I always run the LMB into the preamp, not in the loop. I don't use much else in the way of effects as such, it's more utilitarian stuff but it's all in series with nothing in the fx look as it sounds more pleasing for my tastes.

What settings were you using on the limiter when it was killing the sound of your other pedals? Without intending to be patronising, it's very easy to get compression wrong so I'm wondering if maybe the limiter was set with something extreme that was overloading the following pedals?

• Thanks 1

Tha is for this, really helpful. I can take a photo of settings later. I'm not sure if it's the LMB-3 or just some of the non bass pedals that are in my chain like a Boss DS1 that I'm experimenting with. Either way I'm in line with your thinking, send the compressed signal into the input and then allow the other boxes to do their magic with that.

• Like 1

No harm in simply just trying it out and see if it works for you personally and with your specific setup.

Really no one size fit all solution, and a lot of it is up to personal preferences.

For what it is worth the very subtle compression that I use is the very first thing in my signal chain after my bass.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Through my practice amp running the LMB-3 before the EBS and having everything else in the loop seems to work. Gig tonight, luckily we get tons of set up time so if I get the bass dropping out through my gig rig when I engage the drive and or distortion then I can be aware of it and not rely on those for the gig.

• 3 weeks later...

Well! We had a bit of a issue before the gig in that I snapped a string on my US Jazz and used my reserve bass, a fretless, all night. This meant changing the LMB-3 settings to enhance (as in the manuals recommended settings) rather than any kind of compression because that's how I like it on fretless. So now my Boss Tuner and LMB-3 are before the Microbass, everything else through the loop of the Microbass, and this seems to be a lot more effective. There's still some low end loss when using the DS-1 but this is the beauty of the Microbass being able to dial up or down the effects loop mix, so when I know I'm going to want the DS-1 I'll take the effects mix down to 60:40 wet:dry and hopefully retain enough low end but keep the gnarliness of the DS-1.

Gig on January 5th to find out!