Why become a member? ×

Can someone please explain...

Cornfedapache

You'll get the same kind of character added to your tone but your rig will still play a part - they can't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. Having said that the most popular sansamp for bass is probably the BDDI, which as the name suggests has a DI built in allowing you to go direct through the PA (without any backline if you want). It's supposed to do a fair SVT impersonation though I've not used one.

The Behringer BDI 21 is a clone of the BDDI and does a good job sound wise, but the build quality is nowhere near the same standard. It's about a quarter of the price though.

[quote name='Cornfedapache' post='484247' date='May 10 2009, 12:04 PM']Ahh so it's an effects box, of sorts meaning that you can play any amp set up and get teh same tonal results??[/quote]
It's basically a pre-amp. Work well with passive basses making them hotter and richer sounding, not so good with active ones. If you've got an active bass, you've got a lot of what's in a SansAmp in your bass already.

[quote name='Cornfedapache' post='484247' date='May 10 2009, 07:04 AM']Ahh so it's an effects box, of sorts meaning that you can play any amp set up and get teh same tonal results??[/quote]The original intent was to use it as a DI to a recording console, instead of mic'ing an amp.

[quote name='BOD2' post='484652' date='May 10 2009, 09:46 PM']The clue is in the name. Think French.... "sans" = "without" therefore the name literally means "without amp" (oh weren't they clever !).

I think it's been described well enough above.[/quote]

Well that's what I originally thought... So was getting confused when I saw it being talked about to power a stack...

Alice Klarr now!

[quote name='Cornfedapache' post='485222' date='May 11 2009, 12:51 PM']Well that's what I originally thought... So was getting confused when I saw it being talked about to power a stack...

Alice Klarr now![/quote]You wouldn't use it to power a stack, but they can be used to drive a power amp that will power a stack. But their main claim to fame is built in speaker emulation circuitry, which is a fancy way of saying they cut the highs and lows and boost the mids, in an attempt to duplicate speaker coloration.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice