Why become a member? ×

Markbass Speakon Connection

SuperSeagull

Connecting my MB CMD12 combo to a MB NY121 cab - with the speakon cable plugged in one way all is fine, switch which end is plugged into the combo and it doesn’t latch properly leading to intermittent or no signal. I can wiggle that end and the signal cuts in and out. I’ve checked continuity on the cable and that seems fine, if I use a Jack to Jack speaker cable all is fine as well. I can’t get my head around if the problem is with the cable or speakon socket on the amp. I suspect the cable - it’s a gear 4 music one. Before I order a decent replacement cable is there anything I’m missing?

If the cable is made up with Speakon plugs other than Neutrik ones, that could be your problem. There are a couple of threads on here where the use of non Neutrik ones have caused just the problem you describe.

Just change the plugs rather than buy a new cable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BassBunny said:

If the cable is made up with Speakon plugs other than Neutrik ones, that could be your problem. There are a couple of threads on here where the use of non Neutrik ones have caused just the problem you describe.

Just change the plugs rather than buy a new cable.

Thanks. I think I'll go for a new cable and plugs to be safe. Don't really fancy having to swap out the socket!

I had the same problem with a Markbass cab - took it to the local repair guy who couldn't find anything wrong with the cab or the connectors themselves.

The cable in question was decent quality too, worked with my other cabs, and indeed even in the other connector on the same cab, but it didn't like something.

I've since swapped the cable for a Rockwire OBBM one and all seems ok again, so never really got to the bottom of that one.

• Like 1