Why become a member? ×

Bluetooth advice please

dodgnofski

All help gratefully received for an old ‘card carrying’ Technophobe🙈🙈

Is there a Bluetooth appliance that I can plug into the Jack socket of my passive Bass that would let me hear it through my ‘Btootos’ - pictured below - ear bud type thingies that I use on my thipad please?

Thank you👍👍

IMG_5188.jpeg

Yes ... but!

The latency (delay) when sending audio over bluetooth is (in my experience) too high to do so in a satisfactory way. ymmv.

Imagine you have your bass plugged directly into a cab and this is (for example) 2m from your ear.  Assuming you have no digital f/x stuff in the  cab, you can expect the audio to hit your ears aprox 6 milliseconds after you pluck a string.

With the latest version of bluetooth (5) you can expect the delay to be around 20-40 milliseconds (as if the cab was 7 - 13m away); a google shows up that at 10-15 milliseconds, the delay can start to be noticeable/annoying.

S'manth x

• Like 3

Ah, thank you for your help and advice, I would never have thought of that! Yes, that amount of delay would drive anyone bonkers. I suppose the days of completely wireless, silent noodling are a few years away yet☹️🙈🙈

Thanks again though👍👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Smanth said:

With the latest version of bluetooth (5) you can expect the delay to be around 20-40 milliseconds (as if the cab was 7 - 13m away); a google shows up that at 10-15 milliseconds, the delay can start to be noticeable/annoying.

It's actually worse than that because with an physical cab 7-13m metres away you'll get room ambiance which will add spatial information to the sound which the brain can use to try and compensate for the delay in sound waves reaching your ears. Also most of the time you can see that the speakers are some distance away which helps. With earbuds the delayed sound is piped dry and directly to your ears, with no real room ambiance or visual distance clues, which makes the delay far more obvious.

There are solutions to the OPs problem but they don't use Bluetooth and are expensive. Have a look at the Boss Waza Air Bass Headphones.

• Like 2

I tried the same thing and even with the so-called aptX low latency bluetooth I found it to be impossible, the latency made it unplayable and drove me nuts

As mentioned above the only headphones, which I know of, which allow wireless bass playing are the Boss Waza ones - these do work but in my opinion are expensive for what they are (although I know some people rate them highly)

Good luck

J

• Like 2