Why become a member? ×

Do some strings make more blisters?

guyl

A while ago I decided to learn to arco properly and changed my strings to Pirastro Obligatos from whatever pizzy strings were on there. The Obligatos work much better with a bow. Pizz brightness and immediate punch is slightly compromised, but still pretty good so all is well. Strings feel very smooth. Tension is a bit lower than before. 

But practically every gig, I've been getting blisters on my plucking fingers. Sure, sometimes there's a reasonable gap between gigs without much practice inbetween. But could it be the case that the smoother string  is less grippy and requires more force to grab? Or that the compromise in brightness means I'm unknowingly digging in harder? And maybe the lower tension is somehow an issue?

Anyone found some strings more blister-inducing than others? 

Higher tension strings are more blistery I guess...  But the two main things are how often you play and how hard you pluck.

Could it be that in playing more Arco you're playing less pizz?  Don't drop the pizz practise.

Might also be laying in harder with the quieter strings?  Ease off and turn up the amp.

I went to hear Alec Dankworth once; he played hard and fast for 2hrs; I asked him why his fingers weren't bleeding. He said that he does get blisters after his annual two week break, but once his fingers had hardened up, the trick is to turn the amp up and play more gently.  Sharing duty between index and second finger helps too.

• Like 1