Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Bighead

msb

I spend quite a bit of time learning and memorizing new material , and prefer to do that using headphones , quietly. For some years I’ve been using a HoTone Thunderbass I found on kijiji for a great price. I was quite happy with it. In another practice rig I use a GK MB200 , as it has a mini aux in (like the HoTone) for a tablet. 
And recently found a used Phil Jones Bighead headphone amp , this is the original version , there is now an updated Pro version that’s said to be a worthwhile addition … but I found the original for a really good price and could not resist. It’s also a computer interface. These were somewhat pricey , the new Pro is expensive. (and I do like a bargain) 
And it arrived yesterday. Phil Jones has a reputation for making quality , well designed gear. It’s mostly made in China , but they are putting out a quality product. I’ve found high end Chinese manufacturing to be excellent. It’s a solid piece of gear , with volume/gain , and then a two band treble/bass control. Two stacked pots with solid aluminum knobs , it feels substantial. And it certainly works beautifully. Now I’m just using an older set of reasonably good Sony headphones … but it sounds great. I’m mostly running over material from YouTube  so that source is going to be what it is, but I’ve now tried several basses through this.

And I like it. 
So if you spend much time playing with phones , and you see one for a good price … grab it.

IMG_9458.jpeg

• Like 2

For headphone practice I use a Tascam Bass Trainer ( I nearly wrote traynor!) to drive my headphones. It's wired into one of the 'Tape Loops' of my Nakamichi pre-amp. My computer is wired into the second loop. The versatility this set up provides is great.

I do use a power supply with the Tascam as I can't stand the poor lifespan of batteries. They always seem to fail at the most awkward times!!

Enjoy your new 'toy' I hope out brings pleasure to your life. LOL

5 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I have one and had no idea it also works as an interface. Only issue is the battery life! 

Same here! I had and really liked it, but got fed up with the battery going down with no warning! I ended up getting a PJB Double Four, which is much more versatile and a great bit of kit, but not exactly cheap...!  

I have a couple of practice rigs , but this is where the BigHead will mostly reside. I use headphones when I’m playing along with a tablet , either picking up new material or just refreshing it. When it’s my happy time to goof around I like to use an amp. Usually a Darkglass e 500 into a little Phil Jones C2 cab. This is an enjoyable little low volume rig. And small.

IMG_9504.jpeg

• Like 1