Why become a member? ×

Don't Fret

Koneda

I played a fretless bass last night for the first time ever and WTF? They're awesome! I can only imagine that it was the same feeling that Madonna had when she wrote like a virgin lol!
It was like re-discovering bass all over again without them annoyin lil bumpy metal b*st*rds in the way. And it makes me wonder why they even bother putting them on basses at all?

[quote name='Koneda' post='483585' date='May 9 2009, 09:56 AM']I played a fretless bass last night for the first time ever and WTF? They're awesome! I can only imagine that it was the same feeling that Madonna had when she wrote like a virgin lol!
It was like re-discovering bass all over again without them annoyin lil bumpy metal b*st*rds in the way. And it makes me wonder why they even bother putting them on basses at all?[/quote]

I agree, I get a much more musical feeling playing FL. I would love for it to be my main bass expression, but I'm going to have to get a LOT better as a fretless player to be as comfortable as I am on fretted.

So what fretless have you got?

I had a fretless warwick with no fret lines for a bit. It was all well and good until we played at a pub in downend with no stage lights and I couldn't see where to put my hands... Great fun to play, though.

Big jessies the lot of you. :)

One of the best ways to learn is to practice with your eyes closed. Sometimes looking at the neck can make you hyper conscious about where you are fretting.

This is what i had to do when I was about 19 and having to sight read big band scores while playing a fretless

I have BC's The Rinser's old Warwick Corvette Bubinga Fretless 4. It's superb!

I've gigged it a few times. The first time, I took my sunglasses off when I realised onstage monitoring and lighting were almost non-existent.

I'll never give up fretted though. I do love the slap.