Why become a member? ×

I rarely thwack up!… but i need help with my technique please..

Guest NOODS

I’m sure this is me and my beginners method .. 

when i pluck with my plucking hand fingers ( i try to pluck through the string up towards my chin while muting the strings not being used) i sometimes get a horrible thwack sound from the string i’m plucking.. ? Similar to if my finger nail connects with a string.. Is this an error on my part or is it possibly down to the fitted flat wound strings? 

As i say i don’t up on the string away from the body eg at 12 o’clock more like 9 o’clock instead.. 

Appreciate your help… 

IMG_9926.thumb.jpeg.93ff75b85912817f246cbb0f83036726.jpeg

I thought the same. I cannot be sure it is the problem you are having but I had a similar thing at some point. It took me a while to figure out because the sound did not come from the string I was plucking. It was actually from rhe lower string. I would pluck a string, the finger would go and rest on the lower string, which would move so slightly toward the fretboard and make an annoying noise.

I seem to remember in my case it was nut slots cut too low (or not enough relief, depending how one looks at it)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

I thought the same. I cannot be sure it is the problem you are having but I had a similar thing at some point. It took me a while to figure out because the sound did not come from the string I was plucking. It was actually from rhe lower string. I would pluck a string, the finger would go and rest on the lower string, which would move so slightly toward the fretboard and make an annoying noise.

I seem to remember in my case it was nut slots cut too low (or not enough relief, depending how one looks at it)

So i take it to a guitar repair shop to find out i guess or get someone who can play to try it out.. The guy i bought it from was a gig man but, didn’t play this epi on stage, he said it’s just too nice .. 

Well, before going to the repair shop I would try to figure out where the noise comes from. Maybe have somebody else play it, and go around rhe bass with your ear until you find the spot. If ot does not happen when they play, have them find the spot.

It can be frustrating goint to the shop, having the tech playing it one minute and declaring "it's all ok"

I'd look at your technique first. Your bass might not be the problem.

Seems like you're describing hooking your fingers behind the strings and tugging. Pulling through the strings parallel to the fingerboard. That's quite an aggressive technique, which would probably sound better with a very high action.

I play across the top of the strings, ie looking from the nut to the bridge, 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, 2 at most. Like this I can play with a lower action, with less energy, more accuracy and an even tone. Plus I'm only using the pads of my fingers, so the nails don't come in contact with the strings. 

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

I agree with the above post.

Don't pull the strings, stroke them with the outmost tip of your fingers/nails, in a slightly inwards slapping, but relaxed, non forceful, motion, rather than striking or pulling them.

That, or if you insist using such aggressive plucking technique, which will give you a less complex but actually also less aggressive tone, you need to raise the action considerably, and possibly use thicker higher tension strings as well.   

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I agree with the above post.

Don't pull the strings, stroke them with the outmost tip of your fingers/nails, in a slightly inwards slapping, but relaxed, non forceful, motion, rather than striking or pulling them.

That, or if you insist using such aggressive plucking technique, which will give you a less complex but actually also less aggressive tone, you need to raise the action considerably, and possibly use thicker higher tension strings as well.   

i’m getting what your saying but surely if your finger nail contacts the string that’s where the harsh sound comes from? no? 

25 minutes ago, NOODS said:

i’m getting what your saying but surely if your finger nail contacts the string that’s where the harsh sound comes from? no? 

But you're not getting what I'm saying. . . . don't let your finger nails hit the strings. Change your technique so that doesn't happen.