Why become a member? ×

Free MacBook Air - 2013 model 8GB/256GB SSD/Mojave - Working apart from screen (pics to prove) [ Sold ] Not really sold but given away

rwillett

Now before you get too excited about this, the screen is busted. The cat walked across the mantelpiece and knocked a vase off and it landed on the Macbook Air lying on the floor and damaged the screen. The screen is completely unusable :) It is not in pieces, or physically broken into parts, see the picture.

Gosh how we laughed when Sparkles knocked the vase off. Somewhat suprisingly you can drop kick a cat, I was as surprised as the cat as it's a rugby skill I never had before.

However the Macbook Air works perfectly well when used with an external screen and the lid closed. I am just in the process of reformatting the disk so it's clean.

It has two USB ports, so attach a keyboard and mouse a display port for video and I'll throw a display port to VGA adapter in for nothing as well.  It does not have the PSU, that got lost in the move, it's a Magsafe adapter, from memory, a Magsafe 2 but not 100% sure. It doesn't work well with a KVM or at least my Tesmart 4 port HDMI KVM. It did with an older VGA based KVM. If any of this makes sense you know about mouse emulation on KVM for later versions of Windows and how Macs don't have it.

It even has a case protector which is useless for stopping a vase landing on the open screen. Apart from that and the broken screen it's in decent nick.

The cost and effort for a new screen is more than I want to bear. It runs Mojave and will have a newly installed version on. I'll set up a new admin user, probably imaginatively named "admin" with password "password".

It's free to a good home. Not sure how I define good though. The only criteria is you do not expect me to support you getting this going (unless you are a charity or school or something and then I'll try), so unless you are a worthy organisation, you are on your own. If I wanted to spend lots of time getting it going, I'd fix it myself and flog it on eBay. You will need a power supply, £20 off Amazon, and a keyboard and mouse. Wifi works though. You'll need to plug a PSU in, open the lid to start it up. once its started up, close the lid (possiby before then) and the display automatically transfers to the external monitor. Pretty simple TBH.

I'll even post for free in the UK, but would appreciate a voluntary donation to the North West Air Ambulance. I won't chase you on it, and it's whatever you can afford. They saved a member of my families life, so I'm always helping them raise money.

Thanks

Rob

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

Edited by rwillett
  • Like 1

• rwillett changed the title to Free MacBook Air - 2013 model 8GB/256GB SSD/Mojave - Working apart from screen (pics to prove)

@Burns-bass thanks for your kind offer. The Macbook is now going to a bass player in South Yorkshire.

Just looked through my very large collection of cables and I cannot find a displayport to HDMI cable. Serial cables (including some home made special ones for various uses), parallel port, USB of various sorts, DVI to anything, VGA to anything, but can I find a Mac display port to HDMI. No! I

Have a Mac DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor that I'll send, but if @Burns-bass doesn;t mind, can he send his cable as well. I'll DM him now.

Thanks

Rob

• rwillett changed the title to Free MacBook Air - 2013 model 8GB/256GB SSD/Mojave - Working apart from screen (pics to prove) [ Sold ] Not really sold but given away