Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Low volume from SD Basslines

Fitzy73

Hi , I fitted SD STK J1 Basslines to a jazz bass project(passive with 250k pots) as per installation guide . The problem is the volume is not as good as my other basses. have i missed something or is my pots faulty . anyone use these pick ups before or had the same problem cheers fitzy73

[quote name='Fitzy73' post='482380' date='May 7 2009, 08:14 PM']Hi , I fitted SD STK J1 Basslines to a jazz bass project(passive with 250k pots) as per installation guide . The problem is the volume is not as good as my other basses. have i missed something or is my pots faulty . anyone use these pick ups before or had the same problem cheers fitzy73[/quote]
The volume should be around the same as a standard Jazz pickup.
If it were me, I'd recheck my wiring from the pickup, then try swapping the outputs from one of the coils - just in case one is out of phase. However, it's never happened to me - so I'm not speaking from experience here.

Depends what you're comparing it with. I put some Basslines in an MIM Jazz and was disappointed with the output, they didn't seem much better than the stock pickups. So I got some thicker, denser foam and mounted them a bit higher. That made a big difference to the volume and the tone. So it could be you've just got them set too low.

I have to say I have similar experience with the *hot* stack at the bridge of my Japanese Precision (see signature). The volume is not as high as the non-stack version I have in my backup bass, but this could also be due to distance from the bridge and the guitar specifics. I know it's not a height or phase problem from testing. I'd say that if you're tone is fine, there shouldn't be a problem, unless you're having issues with noise. Still, the checks mentioned by the others could be worthwhile - deductive reasoning.

[quote name='danlea' post='486627' date='May 13 2009, 09:11 AM']I have to say I have similar experience with the *hot* stack at the bridge of my Japanese Precision (see signature). The volume is not as high as the non-stack version I have in my backup bass, but this could also be due to distance from the bridge and the guitar specifics.[/quote]
I have a similar issue with Duncan P-Bass and Jazz pickups on the same bass. They are both vintage model pickups but the bridge Jazz pickup is quieter than the P-bass. The pickups themselves are fine (I've measured them). I have a Quarter Pounder Jazz waiting to go in now in an attempt to balance them up.
The lesson here, as you say, is that there is always less output from a pickup near the bridge.

[quote name='stevie' post='486649' date='May 13 2009, 09:34 AM']I have a similar issue with Duncan P-Bass and Jazz pickups on the same bass. They are both vintage model pickups but the bridge Jazz pickup is quieter than the P-bass. The pickups themselves are fine (I've measured them). I have a Quarter Pounder Jazz waiting to go in now in an attempt to balance them up.
The lesson here, as you say, is that there is always less output from a pickup near the bridge.[/quote]

Well yes, naturally the amplitude of the vibrations near the bridge is much smaller, particularly at lower frequencies, but of course the bridge pickup will always be closer to the strings. I use either all precision (neck) or half and half. The difference at face-value is fairly subtle, but it does make a significant difference to the way in which the bass fits into the track. The bridge pickup by itself has practically no deep bass and is simply low volume, full stop, but then this can be used for playing 'low guitar lines', particularly if you've got another instrument (like piano/synths) providing the real lows. This is probably the reason the hot-rodded precisions are becoming rarer - for many the benefit will not be worth the cost of the extra pickup/modification.

I'm not sure O/P volume is the criteria by which to judge a PUP? Some of the sweetest tones I've got from basses have been from relatively low O/P PUPs. My 73 Jazz is very low O/P but everywhere I play it people compliment the tone. I rarely get similar coments on my '77 Precision which has a (relatively) monstrous O/P
Chris