Why become a member? ×

Demo Suggestions

GoodShowSir

So after yet another wasted time on JMB... I just want to play some music with people... so disheartening...

Thought to myself, I should actually probably record a couple of things to send off to people might save a little bit of time. As ever might be a stupid thing to ask, anyone got any suggestions or something they like to do? Use a backing track, just do a small 30 second self jam, use my looper pedal and mess around? All three?

Feel free to share examples! I could look on youtube but not sure I am ready to share my bass shreding and tapping techniques... only get more discouraged!  :(

Edited by GoodShowSir

If you're going to make a demo, make it something in the musical style you want to play with the group. If I was looking for a bass player for an indie band, for example, some lad noodling with a looper wouldn't be high on my list of people to call. You could do a playalong video of a song you like in that style and put it on youtube. Don't be put off by the look-at-me technical gymnasts unless that's what you're trying to be, show what you do and how you do it. It's about showing you can play that style of music, not that you can play 10,000 notes per second.

• Like 3

hi

i managed to get a good pub band together by advertising/responding to band-contact sites, meeting for a jam and weeding out unsuitable choices  it took about 18 months

Since the band dispersed, i've joined another musician-meet site and i include a handful of shortish (1 minute) video and audio clips from the bands with which i was playing - covering different music styles

After several years experience of meeting completely unsuitable candidates (and i'm sure an equal no. people have justifiably thought that of me, too !), i reckon the best way to get an idea of someone's character, and musical abilities, is to frequent good quality open-mic and jam events, where you can sense a helpful and supportive community feel (rather than the 'look-at-me-im-gods-gift' attitude which occurs in some places)

Keep looking - but ga canny!

• Like 1

Play along to a track ( in the style of music you like ) so they can see you and hear you’re playing. The track playing should be quieter than your bass.

Record a couple of minutes tops on your phone and send that off to any interested folk.

It’s what a few of us did during lockdown when we could meet up.

JMB is shocking now .. try Bandmix and find a way to allow people to find you on Facebook so you don’t have to subscribe to message folk 

Or search your local Facebook pages for local musicians etc or pop along to an open mic night 

• Like 1

If you want to play with others, have you tried going to local jam sessions?

I met my current band mates at a local pop/blues jam and we ended up forming a stoner/doom metal band. None of us could jam very well but we could see that we could all play in time and talk rubbish