Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM cab home repair help!

G-Lo

So! I bought a wicked cab off a fellow basschatter, hand carried it home to Cyprus- and the tweeter snapped in transit! Ashdown sent me a replacement and it's different. Securing part is round rather than square but the holes match up. I have now two problems:

1. I was going to resolder the wires exactly like on the old one. The connection points, however, are 180 degrees apart. Can someone confirm if it matters which way round the live and neutral wires are? I think no, but "think" is where explosions come from

2. the hole in the cab is just too narrow. The tweeter fits but the connection points do not. I'm tempted to route out a little more hole, does anyone have any idea if that's a bad idea?

3. Finally, the grille was stuck on with some sticky rubber tape. Anyone know what it is? It may need renewing.

PXL_20230914_182509856.thumb.jpg.21bbdf64e2b11db491832032a2d08732.jpg

Thanks in advance! McGuyver out!

• Sad 1

1. Follow the colour coding for the tweeter wires. They're usually red and black. If you wire them the other way, you'll put the tweeter out of phase.

2. There shouldn't be a problem making a couple of holes in the baffle for the connection tabs. Nobody will see the holes you've drilled when it's covered by the tweeter. The main thing is that you don't introduce any leaks in the baffle. Stick a strip of adhesive foam around the tweeter to make sure it's sealed. 

3. Ashdown normally use adhesive foam strip under their grilles. As @BassmanPaul says, you should be able to simply replace the grille on the old foam strip. If you'd like to replace the foam, you can get it in the width you need from Ebay or Blue Aran. 2mm thickness is usually right.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

for the tweeter wiring the connections should be labelled as + and - but often the tags are different sizes as well so if there are no markings then just look for the wide and narrow tabs (from your photo it looks like the black/negative tag is the wider one)

Matt

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2023 at 12:20, Matt P said:

for the tweeter wiring the connections should be labelled as + and - but often the tags are different sizes as well so if there are no markings then just look for the wide and narrow tabs (from your photo it looks like the black/negative tag is the wider one)

Matt

Cheers Matt. Ashdown had said it should be marked, saw nothing, the width saved me!