Why become a member? ×

Elrick Platinum Evolution 5 string single cut bass **Price DROP to £2350** - *SOLD*
£2700
Sheffield

gadget

Up for sale is my Elrick platinum single cut 5 string. Its been a brilliant bass... I believe its a 2008 model, but cannot be certain? I've owned it for about three years and never had an issue with it at all. Its gonna be a hard one to let go! 

Features are...

35"  Scale, though having a zero fret feels closer to a 34" scale than any 35"er I've played before....
Aguilar 3 band preamp - Volume and pan and Bass/Mid/Treble - Active/passive and mid scoop switches
Lundgren single coil pickups with wooden (Wenge?) pickup covers - I received the bass with these fitted, and am very impressed with the sound. Quite similar character to Bartolini pickups. Having never heard of Lundgren pickups before, I was a little unsure, but these have sounded so good for anything I have needed them for. They are a small Dutch custom company.

The main body wings are swamp ash, so the bass is very light weight. Maple neck. I can't really tell you much about the rest of the woods as I am uncertain what they are?  I think the top is some sort of spalted maple (or Buckeye Burl has been suggested below), and have no idea with the fretboard (Wenge perhaps?)? Heel tone block could be Walnut and Padauk/Rosewood? Perhaps someone can say if they know? I will try and contact Elrick and see what they have to say? 

All in all for the age of the bass its in excellent condition... It does have signs of age as any used instrument would, however there is nothing to stand out as problematic? No real scratches or heavy dings... Anything it does have are minor and hard to spot and photograph. Given the cost of this bass, I would ask any interested party to come and play the bass first. I may be able to meet you if its within reasonable driving distance of Sheffield. It will be pickup only also due to the cost. It comes with a Hiscox light flite case. The case itself has a minor crack on the lid corner... The case still serves its function and protects the bass. I wouldn't fly with this particular case in cargo hold (this is where the crack happened with a different bass inside), but for running around day to day from gig to gig it is more than good! I trust these Hiscox cases after 20 years of using them (not endorsed, though could do with being! ;) ). Frets are in great condition. Also has holes for Straplocks (Dunlop I believe?) I don't have the strap parts for then, but can see if I can find them, but they are available online. It doesn't have any traditional strap buttons, so you will need these if you opt for this bass. 

Price is firm. These go for north of £4000 to £5500 nowadays new. I would consider trades for high end basses, but need some cash to me in the deal as well. Shuker 5, Sei bass Flamboyant 5, Goodfellow/GB Rumour 5, Stingray 5, Lightwave 5, Maruszscyk Sputnik/Joker 5's, etc will be considered as partial trades. Any basses ideally 34" scale 5 strings, but we can see? Message me to discuss any potential trades? 

20230906_142104.jpg

20230906_142110.jpg

20230906_142115.jpg

20230906_142122.jpg

20230906_142133.jpg

20230906_142140.jpg

20230906_142155.jpg

20230906_142212.jpg

Edited by gadget
Added more info
  • Like 15

Oh yes, it also has hipshot tuners, and one of the previous owners decided to put a drop tuner on the B string... It works great and holds the tuning as good as the other strings, but its not something I'd have done, but hey... There it is! 

Cheers 
G!

Thank you for the input... Now you mention the walnut, that rings a bell. I think the other one is more likely Padauk rather than Rosewood, but I am unsure? I also think you could be right about the Wenge fretboard, though its not like Warwick Wenge where its all rough etc, its jolly nice. 

Cheers 
G!

Edited by gadget
  • Like 1

GLWTS, I reckon North of £5k is more accurate since the new crop of Evolution 4’s Bass Direct have received seem to all be in the £4 - 4.5 k range. When you think about it these are just as good as anything out there and are definitely more hand made than their most direct competition and sit at a significantly lower price point than that brand. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input folks.... 

Also had a few questions about weight and string spacing, so putting this here for people.... I don't have anything to get an accurate measurement, but String spacing appears to be 19mm, though it certainly doesn't feel a stretch like some 19mm spacings I've played. The sdeign of the bridge would also suggest that string spacing may be adjustable, but I have never tried to adjust this. Its very comfortable and natural feeling as it is. Weight is also hard to do accurately, but my scales are suggesting about 4kg.

Regards

G!

14 hours ago, Beneath It All said:

Stunning; pity it 'aint 34"  [not sure how a zero fret makes any difference🤨].  Tempted to take a look anyway depending on your postcode. Ta much.

Yer, I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but having played a number of 35" scales over the years, this one doesn't feel that much different to my 34"s. Maybe its nothing to do with the zero fret at all (this is the first one I've played with a zero), but for whatever reason I find it feels to me more like a 34" scale. You are welcome to come take a look, I'm near the Hillsborough area. 

Message me if you are keen? 

Regards

G!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • gadget changed the title to Elrick Platinum Evolution 5 string single cut bass **Price DROP to £2500**
  • 1 month later...
  • gadget changed the title to Elrick Platinum Evolution 5 string single cut bass **Price DROP to £2350**
  • gadget changed the title to Elrick Platinum Evolution 5 string single cut bass **SOLD**