Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass with BadAss Bridge?

Jobiebass

I LOVE badass bridges, got one on my Flea bass and on my fretless P. I dont rate the standard fender bridges.

Im thinking about buying a Jazz, nothing expensive but I have a rule one out one in, and as my 'ray is up for sale, cheepish Jazz bass it is.

I know the Geddy Lee has a BA on it, and if im not mistaken the Highway1?

Is it worth buying a MIJ Geddy, or just getting a MIM and adding the BA myself? or is there an alternitive?

Thanks

I recently stuck a badass2 on my Jap 57 re-issue and to tell the truth dont notice much differance. Having said that, some people swear by them. And it cost me £60. There was a thread on this subject a few weeks ago.

Go for the Geddy Lee, brilliant Jap bass.

Jez

I recently finished off my P-bass project with a BadAss II.
I to don't rate standard bridges...you have to keep moving the E and G-string saddle back into centre as they go off and also the springs behind the saddle rattle...Annoying when you play unplugged.

It's up to you. Either go for the Geddy Lee or build your own.
I'd go for the MIM Jazz personally as you could overhaul it completely...But if your a BIG Geddy Lee nut you may want a Signature.
But if it's only for the bridge...they don't cost much you could get a MIM Fender and go from there.

P.s. what 'Ray you got cause...I'm in the market for one.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='480447' date='May 5 2009, 10:18 PM']I recently finished off my P-bass project with a BadAss II.
I to don't rate standard bridges...you have to keep moving the E and G-string saddle back into centre as they go off and also the springs behind the saddle rattle...Annoying when you play unplugged.

It's up to you. Either go for the Geddy Lee or build your own.
I'd go for the MIM Jazz personally as you could overhaul it completely...But if your a BIG Geddy Lee nut you may want a Signature.
But if it's only for the bridge...they don't cost much you could get a MIM Fender and go from there.

P.s. what 'Ray you got cause...I'm in the market for one.[/quote]

yeah my P sounds really nice with it, im guessing yours is fretted? (click link in my sig for build diary)
I had the same problem as you with the saddles moving around on my old mim jazz, lovely bass but when they move it goes out of tune slightly and that plus bad technique, bending the strings slighty = no fun.

ps.
Im selling this beauty.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30542"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30542[/url]

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='480554' date='May 5 2009, 11:53 PM']yeah my P sounds really nice with it, im guessing yours is fretted? (click link in my sig for build diary)
I had the same problem as you with the saddles moving around on my old mim jazz, lovely bass but when they move it goes out of tune slightly and that plus bad technique, bending the strings slighty = no fun.

ps.
Im selling this beauty.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30542"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30542[/url][/quote]

Ah it's a 4-string...I'm looking for a 5-er but wait...Do you still own that OLP?
I'm looking for an OLP MM32 for my new project.
I've done a P now I want to do a 'Ray but I favour 2 pups (funny as the P-bass has one).
I posted it in the wanted gear section as I cannot find one.
A real HH ray is WAY outta my reach man...:)

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='480558' date='May 6 2009, 12:03 AM']Ah it's a 4-string...I'm looking for a 5-er but wait...Do you still own that OLP?
I'm looking for an OLP MM32 for my new project.
I've done a P now I want to do a 'Ray but I favour 2 pups (funny as the P-bass has one).
I posted it in the wanted gear section as I cannot find one.
A real HH ray is WAY outta my reach man...:)[/quote]

Nah my OLP MM32 went to Stoo I think, or did I buy it from stoo? string spacing was tight to say the least. plus the extra neck pickup was too close to the neck so pretty impossible to slap. I wouldnt really recomend them altho the tone wasnt bad for a OLP. Maybe try the new Stirling for musicman range, its musicmans answer to OLP being not under licence anymore.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='481115' date='May 6 2009, 04:19 PM']Nah my OLP MM32 went to Stoo I think, or did I buy it from stoo? string spacing was tight to say the least. plus the extra neck pickup was too close to the neck so pretty impossible to slap. I wouldnt really recomend them altho the tone wasnt bad for a OLP. Maybe try the new Stirling for musicman range, its musicmans answer to OLP being not under licence anymore.[/quote]

Yeah sucks that but then, OLP's didn;t get the best reviews ever...I just thought it'd be good for a tinker...Oh well maybe not then.
Thanks. :)