Why become a member? ×

A.M.P. BH 420 Bass amp. Forerunner to the Thunderfunk.
£350
West Sussex

Chimike

Something else I've had for donkeys years, an  Amplified Musical Products BH 420, designed and built by the ex designers of the Acoustic Control Corp.

This same design was later to morph into the Thunderfunk amps, when Dave Funk bought the stock when A.M.P. folded.

I bought this one from the original owner, but just after he bought it ( Acoustic dealer in Fleet ) and having had a case made for it, he became ill, and this was put in the loft, never used.

I've kept it in that case, ever since. Did play it for a year, in a blues band, together with an Acoustic Control 2 x 15. Did me proud.

So, early 80's amp, clean as a whistle inside, only slight signs of use on the case, very comprehensive Eq, even for today, let alone then.

Been using this again recently, such a joy to use, mainly I use flat eq, just tweek the tone balance a touch, to taste.

Be aware, they do run hot, (on 4 ohms, not so on 8 ) Dave Funk added a fan, however, a laptop cooler would be an easy way to keep things cool. Didn't have those in the 80's !

, Just noticed, Pics show 120v input, but this was bought in the UK, and is UK voltage

£350

Can be seen, trialled etc in Worthing.

DSC_7819.thumb.JPG.4ecebf2a3f03055d492784e2d1b712b4.JPG

DSC_7818.thumb.JPG.81248889c86f8c978dd01f24fc9abb50.JPG

DSC_7820.thumb.JPG.b78b8b4af2f40e8536f9019952f1e92e.JPG

Edited by Chimike
  • Like 8

I've been lucky enough to have had the chance to use this amp a couple of times and it really is good! 

With it's semi-parametric eq, it's similar in some ways to both the really good SWR and Eden amps of the 1990s, as well as being a forerunner of the Thunderfunk amps.

But it definitely has its own distinct character... My memory of it is that its very loud, punchy, and detailed sounding. It will reproduce the inherent character of your bass really faithfully, but give you lots of scope to shape your tone.. 

Whoever buys this won't be disappointed - as well as giving you a great sound, it's also uber-rare and very cool looking IMHO. 

GLWTS Mike 👍

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...