Why become a member? ×

Skipping strings while raking

Paolo85

So, I have a problem, and I'd like to know how basschatters get around this.
I use raking for the most part and I intend to continue doing it. However, when I have to skip a string after I am alternating, I stick to alternating. By that I mean that, say I am playing a couple of open Ds (so alternating as I am not goind down strings) and then I want an open E, I would alternate to play the E. I find this efficient and not confusing.
The problem is that, if I am already raking and then need to skip a string, my brain wants to continue raking. So say, with open strings, I am playing G, D, E, my brain wants to use the same finger for all strings. I am finding difficult to automate the fact that I should be alternating from D to E.
So how do you "rakers" (?) go around it? Should I just hope it will come natural over time?
Should I learn how to skip a string using the same finger?

I think skipping a string will get easier over time.

Are you able to mute the unwanted string with your fretting hand, in case you do brush it with your plucking hand?

Or can you play some of notes in a different position, so that you don't need to skip a string in the first place?  So in your G, D, E example that would be G at the fifth fret on the D string, D at the fifth on the A string, and then the open E.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

I think skipping a string will get easier over time.

Are you able to mute the unwanted string with your fretting hand, in case you do brush it with your plucking hand?

Or can you play some of notes in a different position, so that you don't need to skip a string in the first place?  So in your G, D, E example that would be G at the fifth fret on the D string, D at the fifth on the A string, and then the open E.

Thanks, that's all good advice. I checked and luckily it seems some muting comes automatic as I go to fret a lower string. 

Changing note position when needed is a good idea although hope to get this as a "general skill" anyway

Hi, I have only been playing bass for a few years and remember wondering the same with skipping a string when raking as it wasn’t that long ago. I was playing pretty much everything using raking from the very beginning - and the advice I got was to still alternate when skipping a string. Also to practice basslines starting with both the index and middle finger, with raking, to get comfortable with doing everything both ways. Sometimes this means really slowing things down and working it up to speed. At some point it just became engrained and I usually don’t need to think about the right hand now unless it’s something particularly tricky. What is Hip by Tower of Power was a really good one to work on this. I Gotcha (Liza Minelli) is an example of a tune I’m having to slow down then work up to speed just now.

Caroline

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/08/2023 at 14:53, Paolo85 said:

So, I have a problem, and I'd like to know how basschatters get around this.
I use raking for the most part and I intend to continue doing it. However, when I have to skip a string after I am alternating, I stick to alternating. By that I mean that, say I am playing a couple of open Ds (so alternating as I am not goind down strings) and then I want an open E, I would alternate to play the E. I find this efficient and not confusing.
The problem is that, if I am already raking and then need to skip a string, my brain wants to continue raking. So say, with open strings, I am playing G, D, E, my brain wants to use the same finger for all strings. I am finding difficult to automate the fact that I should be alternating from D to E.
So how do you "rakers" (?) go around it? Should I just hope it will come natural over time?
Should I learn how to skip a string using the same finger?

I think I get what you mean. Many years ago I had the same issue with scales when I played classical guitar. 

What I did, was to practice very slow, and lift each finger as soon as I had played a note so it didn't rake and I was forced to alternate pluck.

It took a while for my muscle memory to develop, but tbh raking is part of my playing now, although I use 3 fingers to pluck so have options.

The guitar equivalent is called economy picking, when an upstroke would be followed by another upstroke (same for downstrokes).

Edited by MacDaddy
Feckin autocorrect!
  • Like 1