Why become a member? ×

Nickel Plated vs Nickel

BassAdder60

I’ve been fighting my tone for a while and found a string change type has helped with clarity 

I was a long time user of Fender 7150m pure nickel 45-105 strings which have a lovely warm tone and stay consistent for some time however … the output from the pickups is less and both the warmth of the tone and dropped output made my tone a bit woolly sounding.

Swopped back to Fender 7250m nickel plated and hello clear tone again and a higher output from the pups resulting in a great improvement 

So .. my finger style playing tone is great so I can leave the pick alone and it’s all a better match for what I play

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Weren't you using Rotos before??

Yep a brief experiment with Stainless Rotosound but they sounded too harsh for what I wanted. 
I’ve tried various DR strings too but the Fender 7150 and 7250 are the ones I seem to come back to.

The difference between NP and N is enough to improve note clarity and lose some of the woolly notes 

7 hours ago, Supernaut said:

What are you on about, Riki?

I am pretty sure that was a joke, referring to the fact that your initial reply, if hypothetically assuming it was written with an inquisitive intention, could make it look like as if you had been spying on/keeping a record of OP's posts here on the forum, humorously illustrated by you systematically digging through his trash on a regular basis, to dig up, well trash, about him, and meticulously noting down your findings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

17 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am pretty sure that was a joke, referring to the fact that your initial reply could make it look like as you were spying on/keeping a record of OP's posts here on the forum, if assuming it was written with an inquisitive intention, humorously illustrated by you going through his trash on a regular basis, to dig up, well trash, about him.

In fairness Supernaut was correct I had tried Rotosounds so I don’t think he had driven to Suffolk and entered the manor to rummage through the trash ! 

3 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

In fairness Supernaut was correct I had tried Rotosounds so I don’t think he had driven to Suffolk and entered the manor to rummage through the trash ! 

Well, that's the point of the joke, isn't it?

He had been going through your trash and found a used Rotosound string bag, and now hold you responsible for it. 

How else would he know? ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Im a dyed in the wool flats player but they just arent working for my current band/project.  I loved the 7150's as i like their fundamental and the fact they had nice (high) tension.  Im working out if i could get away with those rather than going NPS or Steel.  I hate zingy rounds but needs must at the moment, even moving from my favourite Elites flatwounds to more twangy Fender flats hasnt brought the necessary amount of drive/clarity/grit