Why become a member? ×

Blur on the BBC

Dazed

Blur had loads of exposure on BBC last night. An intimate recent-ish gig from BBC Radio Theatre, a Glastonbury set from 2009(?) and then some of  their appearances on Top Of The Pops. I’ve always liked Blur, not up there as a favourite band, bought maybe 2 of their albums,  but they did have some great pop songs. Apart from a few major fluffs from Alex James on the recent gig, I’d forgotten or maybe never noticed how good a player and his bass lines are. Very melodic, driving and not as simple as I’d thought. The Glastonbury gig especially, everything was played at a faster tempo than the recordings and he seemed so relaxed flying through them. Another one for the underrated players list. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001p94b/blur-at-the-bbc

• Like 1

Their new album is quite splendid. Heard it for the first time this morning and currently listening to it again now.

It's been a great journey seeing Damon Albarn's talent and skills develop over the years. I had wondered if he might have outgrown the Blur thing now so I wasn't expecting what I heard, which is a really solid band playing beautiful songs, only for the songs, and most definitely in the "now".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Their new album is quite splendid. Heard it for the first time this morning and currently listening to it again now.

It's been a great journey seeing Damon Albarn's talent and skills develop over the years. I had wondered if he might have outgrown the Blur thing now so I wasn't expecting what I heard, which is a really solid band playing beautiful songs, only for the songs, and most definitely in the "now".

...which led me back to this brilliant version of Tender. 

Blur are Jimmy Fallon's favourite band and he's absolutely living the dream here. Massive fanboi spoo at the end!

Ace 😊👌

• Like 1

On 30/07/2023 at 11:33, Dazed said:

Blur had loads of exposure on BBC last night. An intimate recent-ish gig from BBC Radio Theatre, a Glastonbury set from 2009(?) and then some of  their appearances on Top Of The Pops. I’ve always liked Blur, not up there as a favourite band, bought maybe 2 of their albums,  but they did have some great pop songs. Apart from a few major fluffs from Alex James on the recent gig, I’d forgotten or maybe never noticed how good a player and his bass lines are. Very melodic, driving and not as simple as I’d thought. The Glastonbury gig especially, everything was played at a faster tempo than the recordings and he seemed so relaxed flying through them. Another one for the underrated players list. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001p94b/blur-at-the-bbc

I've recently learned a couple of Blur basslines (Girls & Boys and Country House) and they're quite fun to play. The man makes some damned nice cheese as well.

• Like 2

I watched most of this. Enjoyed the archive compilation a lot. Alex James is a genuinely really inventive player. His lines are busy but don’t sound like he’s overplaying or getting in the way. The recent concert was high energy but everything sounded too fast. Put it down to the energy on the night I suppose.