Why become a member? ×

Schecter Omen Extreme 5 Pickup Upgrade

LiturghianPope

Hello everyone!

I would like to upgrade my Diamond Series on my Schecter Omen Extreme 5. I would also like the new pickups to have the same amount of pots (or, oh well, fewer). I definitely do not want to make any modifications to the body, carve the pickup slots or anything like that. That's why I would appreciate some advice on some pickup models that can be changed without any modifications/issues.

Active pickups, that is.

Any suggestions and thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated!

Extra info:

I play in a progressive metal band - mostly heavy stuff, but, common to the genre, we dwell into melodic, clean parts as well.

We are a three-piece band, so just one guitar. Not sure how and if I should take this into account for choosing the pickups.

I don't (think I) want a modern metal, 'dingy' sounding tone, but rather a warmer, maybe ...grittier? sound. I'm thinking at Black Sabbath's 13, for example. If someone plays in a three piece metal band and worked towards getting a proper tone to fill in for the lack of a second guitar, send me a link to the band, I'm curious.

I have, very recently, made a comparison with an Ibanez SR 505. The BH-2 Bartolini are quieter but also cleaner. While it seemed exciting at first, the Diamond Series seem to be unnecessarily loud and dirty for me. I'd rather add distortion with pedals, based on a clean sound, rather than having that huge gain out of the box. I wonder if higher-end pickups have an output similar to the Bartolini or to the Diamond Series...?

For now I'm just thinking pickups upgrade. I know that based on the specifics above, suggestions may include other gear as well - it's all welcome and appreciated.

Well, whether the higher end pickups have a higher or lower output, and whatever character they got, very much will depend on the specific pickup model in question, rather than price tag.

Also as far as goes 3 piece bands, essentially Tool is so, that is a guitarist, a bass player, and a drummer, they just have a dedicated singer, instead of either the guitarist, bass player or drummer additionally also being responsible for delivering the vocals.

As for which pickups I don't have any specific suggestion, but might be an idea to check out Nordstrand's offerings (note though that the pickup descriptions on Northstrand's homepage seems more like tongue in cheek parodies on the usual nonsense marketing babble than really being of much help getting closer to any kind of real idea of what they might sound like, though the tone charts provided for the different pickup models is of some help at least, but to really get a better idea of what to expect from them I'll advice you to look up YouTube demos/reviews).

Here's the link to their homepage: https://nordstrandaudio.com/

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Are you sure it's the pickups that should be changed and not the preamp?

There's a Schecter Owner's Club thread in the Other Place (in fact, at least three of them) so potentially more information available there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also as for 3 piece band, essentially Tool is so, that is a guitarist, a bass player, and a drummer, they just have a dedicated singer, instead of either the guitarist, bass player or drummer additionally also being responsible for delivering the vocals.

Yeah I love Tool, when I asked about bands, I meant bands in which members of this community play in, so that we can maybe discuss the rig. I definitely don't chase Justin's tone, with his several thousand dollars rig and top engineers, but rather just try to improve my tone step by step, and go in the right direction. I've seen Tool live I guess they would have sounded just as good with a wide variety of pickups, all I'm saying :))

Appreciate the input!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

Are you sure it's the pickups that should be changed and not the preamp?

No, I'm definitely not sure.

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

There's a Schecter Owner's Club thread in the Other Place (in fact, at least three of them) so potentially more information available there.

I wasn't aware, I'll check it out. I guess if any mod considers that place to be more suitable for this thread, it can be moved, so that I don't double-post.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, LiturghianPope said:

No, I'm definitely not sure.

I wasn't aware, I'll check it out. I guess if any mod considers that place to be more suitable for this thread, it can be moved, so that I don't double-post.

Thanks!

I don't think mods would be able to move threads to Talkbass 😁

• Haha 1

On 27/07/2023 at 15:25, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, whether the higher end pickups have a higher or lower output, and whatever character they got, very much will depend on the specific pickup model in question, rather than price tag.

Also as far as goes 3 piece bands, essentially Tool is so, that is a guitarist, a bass player, and a drummer, they just have a dedicated singer, instead of either the guitarist, bass player or drummer additionally also being responsible for delivering the vocals.

As for which pickups I don't have any specific suggestion, but might be an idea to check out Nordstrand's offerings (note though that pickup descriptions on Northstrand's homepage seems more like tongue in cheek parodies on the usual nonsense marketing babble than really being of much help getting closer to any idea of what they might sound like, though the tone charts provided for the different pickup models is of some help at least, but to really get a better idea of what to expect from them I'll advice you to look up YouTube demos/reviews).

@LiturghianPope I just edited my initial reply to you in this thread with this, I think, valid reservation, when browsing through the different pickup models on Nordstrand's homepage:

Note though that the pickup descriptions on Northstrand's homepage seems more like tongue in cheek parodies on the usual nonsense marketing babble than really being of much help getting closer to any kind of real idea of what they might sound like, though the tone charts provided for the different pickup models is of some help at least, but to really get a better idea of what to expect from them I'll advice you to look up YouTube demos/reviews.

Also here's the link to their homepage: https://nordstrandaudio.com/

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1