Why become a member? ×

String went ping, I.D help please

sprocketflup

I have an NS designs EUB, the NXT4 to be precise. At the weekend, whilst setting up for a show, the G string snapped. I wasn't even on the stage at the time, drummer shouted me " Dave, you're not gonna believe this..."

I haven't the first scooby about EUB strings, so any advice before I take the plunge welcome. I play both pizz and arco, and favour smooth flatwound style strings.

Am I better off replacing the whole set or finding a single? I've no idea what the strings are that are on it at present, they have different coloured silks (green, black, gold red) and gold/brass coloured ball ends

The scale of the instrument is 42", how does that compare to a 3/4 or 1/2  size acoustic bass? Confused

Can you identify your strings here? https://gollihurmusic.com/string-identification-chart/

Once you see the prices of strings, you'll want to find a single...

A 3/4 acoustic upright is around 42" (unlike bass guitars, there isn't any particular strict measurement which define the size of an upright bass)

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

Yep, look like Helicore orchestra to me.

Those are designed for arco and can sound a bit dull for pizz, but EUBs have an inherently brighter sound due to their rigidity, so orchestral strings often sound better on EUBs.

You happy with the sound or thinking of trying something else?

A new G will sound a bit brighter compared to the others but it will soon dull down with a bit of playing in.

How long have you had the current strings on? If one has failed, I'd be concerned that more are destined to follow.