Why become a member? ×

What 1" compression tweeter and crossover unit should I put in my cab?

Dev R

Hi. I am building my own 2 x10" bass cab and used the WinISD programme to design it. I am using 2 x Celestion BN10-300X watts speakers at 8ohms each wired in parallel making the cab  600 watts in total at 4 ohms. My question is, What compression tweeter and crossover unit should I put in my cab to match? Do I need to buy a tweeter that is rated 4 ohms and 600 watts? The same question with the crossover unit. I see a lot of tweeters and crossover units on the market that all seem to be rated at 8 ohms. I will be powering the speakers through a Markbass amp at 500 watts. Thanks in advance!

With bass cabs I use the Eminence BGH25-8. It's rated at 25 watts, because that's all there is above 2kHz with 500 watts program. There are few, if any, off the shelf 4 ohm crossovers, but off the shelf crossovers aren't very good. I design my own. This is an 8 ohm 2kHz 4th order high pass filter, which you can't buy from anywhere in the UK. The capacitors are poly or mylar, rated for at least 100 volts. The coils are air core, of the smallest available wire gauge with no more than 0.5 ohms DCR. A plus/minus 10% tolerance of the component values is permissible.

HP4th2k8ohm.jpg.c3c086a8c6ee95284e03ef1b14f815db.jpg

This is a 4 ohm 2kHz 2nd order low pass filter. The capacitor is a non-polar electrolytic (NPE), rated for at least 50 volts. The coil may be solid or air core; what’s critical is that the DCR (resistance) of the coil for a 4 ohm system be less than 0.2 ohms. A plus/minus 10% tolerance of the component values is permissible. Being 4 ohms you can't buy one of these either.  

Lowpass2kHz4ohmjpg.jpg.bf243df01012a74c562853c3f7512be1.jpg

I always build my filters on separate boards, it's too easy to get confused with the layout and wiring putting them on the same board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That only has a 2nd order high pass, which is totally inadequate. 3rd order is the minimum acceptable for pro use. The 4th order I use reduces the power to the tweeter an octave below the knee frequency by an additional 12dB compared to a 2nd order. That makes the difference between clean and distorted, as well as between functioning and blown. 

• Like 1

Hi Bill. Just about to order the parts for the crossovers. Would you recommend an  L-Pad Attenuator to go with this build or not? And one more question. Is it right that you have to wire one speaker (tweeter) backwards (+ to -) because of 180 degree phase shifting? Thanks

The LPad can't hurt, but since you have dual woofers at 4 ohms that will even things out a bit. You usually have to reverse wire the tweeter with a 2nd order/2nd order crossover, another reason why I never use them. But it doesn't hurt to run a 2kHz tone through the system before you button it up, trying the tweeter wiring both ways, going with whichever is louder if there is any difference.

• Thanks 1

I shall obviously use the L Pad to control the tweeter volume. Would I have to get an L Pad rated at 8ohm to match the Eminence BGH25-8 tweeter or 4 ohms to match the woofers?. That is my final question on this matter....I promise!! Thanks

• 3 months later...

As it happens, I have a pair of 8-ohm Celestion BN10-300X drivers here, with measurements saved on my PC. Having run these through a crossover simulation program, I'd recommend that you do not use a low pass filter because the driver rolls off naturally quite early anyway and you don't want to run the risk of dropping the impedance too much below 4 ohms. Just run the driver full range.

I see you've already bought the components - so try it with and without and see which you prefer.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...