Why become a member? ×

NBD but which model is it?

Fullmoon1971

Hi Folks,

Just picked up this beautiful Peavey thru neck bass and would love to know a bit more about it.

what is the actual model?. I was told it was a C4 Zephyr sold only in Europe but when I took it to my local store(a peavey dealer) for a set up they claimed it is a early Grind series.

What woods would this be constructed out of? Pretty sure the wings are not mahogany. headstock also has a maple veneer under the ebony one?

Does anyone know the exact years these were made

From I've read online I would say its certainly a C4, just what to try and get as much info on it as possible.

Thanks in adavance

Peavey C-4 Zephyr Back.JPG

Peavey C-4 Zephyr Front.JPG

Peavey C-4 Zephyr Horns.JPG

Peavey C-4 Zephyr maple veneer.JPG

Edited by Fullmoon1971
photo resizing
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Fullmoon1971 said:

what is the actual model?

It's a C-4, Zephyr was never the official name.

4 & 5 string bolt on/neck through versions appeared 1999, discontinued for the 2001 launch of the Grind.

Original Grinds were bolt on neck active basses, your local shop needs a Peavey refresher course 😀

Wings look like they could be red meranti. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Did I see this on ebay/ gumtree for less than £100?

If it was a couple of years ago, yes and I bought it. This is a different one though as had painted headstock face.

Edited by Machines

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Did I see this on ebay/ gumtree for less than £100?

No the one on evilbay had much darker wings, I missed out on that one by about 10 sec (bought it, went to paypal and it had gone) that's what prompted me to ask my mate if he still had his - he said I could just have it but freebies make me nervous, so we agreed on a solution. I got the bass with hard case and him and his family got a Chinese takeaway (£56) I think I got the better deal.

Edited by Fullmoon1971
Spelling
  • Haha 1

Just found this link from 2000 using the wayback machine for peavey.co.uk listing the specs for the 

18 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

4 & 5 string bolt on/neck through versions appeared 1999, discontinued for the 2001 launch of the Grind.

Original Grinds were bolt on neck active basses, your local shop needs a Peavey refresher course 😀

Wings look like they could be red meranti. 

Thanks for the info but I have update for you, seems zephyr was it's official name, I just found a archived Web pages from 2000 - 2002 using the wayback machine that lists the bass as the zephyr 4 & 5

https://web.archive.org/web/20001018174042/http://www.peavey.co.uk/zephyr.html

Still not sure that's mine though as it only listed the sandwich body style.

Regarding the name we also had the Ford zephyr car in the late 60's and early 70's - I own 1 of those as well, so I'm not sure what the deal was with the name

Edited by Fullmoon1971
mistake

18 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

While the UK recognises US trademarks, it's important to note that trademark rights are territorial. This means that a trademark registered in the US does not automatically grant you protection in the UK.

I am a trademark and copyright lawyer and have checked with the trademark and copyright registry office in London, neither Gretsch or Epiphone have ever trademarked the name zephyr in the UK, Peavey however did, So there would been no recourse on peavey naming the basses zephyr for what was a european only release. Peavey would of had to change the name if they'd then released it America.

All 3 years 99 - 2002 websites list it as the Zephyr.

I'm not trying to start a fight or being a a-hole, just correcting some commenly held misconceptions about trademark and copyright laws.

1 hour ago, Fullmoon1971 said:

I'm not trying to start a fight or being a a-hole, just correcting some commenly held misconceptions about trademark and copyright laws.

Nor me. 

They were listed as C-series NTB 4 & 5 strings in Peavey's release sheet for 1999.

Doubt trademark or copyright had any bearing on things, marketing a product using the same name as others just makes you look daft. Something Peavey UK had form for, "Dynabass International" springs to mind ; only points it had in common with the US Dynabass was the name and 4 strings 🤣

• Haha 1